Does She Know

WEDNESDAY 13:00

Sam was putting his books back into the locker when he saw Sophia approach. She didn't seem to be in a good mood but then he remembered why.

" We need to talk!" she glared at him.

" I'm all ears." Sam said, not even looking at her.

" Yesterday you went way too far. Before that you used to be such a gentleman with me and now you don't even look at me. What's going on? Is the upcoming match stressing you out or what?"

Sam didn't expect her to mention the upcoming fight but he nonetheless decided to clutch at that straw and use it as an excuse.

" Yeah, maybe I am a bit stressed lately." he glanced at her. She gazed at him so intensely Sam had a feeling she could see into his soul.  " I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. It's just that I'm a bit insecure about the Friday match.."

Sophia reached for his hand. " You'll do fine." she encouraged him. " You know you're one of the best boxers out there."

" I'm sorry for yesterday." he caressed her face. She smiled.

" It's fine. Just promise me you'll never lash out at me again."

" I'll try my best."

She leaned in and kissed him.  He wrapped his hands around her waist and pulled her in. She delved deeper with her tongue. Her dry lips slided over Sam's rendering the whole kiss rough and sloppy. Sam pulled away and smiled at her even though he felt uncomfortable. But it was when he glanced behind her that his heart sank. At the other end of the hallway he saw Brad opening his locker. They made eye contact. Brad didn't seem upset though. He wore a blank expression but to Sam it felt weird. He looked away but he could feel Brad's eyes on him.

" When's the fight?" Sophia asked, not aware of what was going on behind her.

" Uh..." he glanced at Brad who smirked at him. The smirk itself completely derailed Sam's thinking process. " At 4 pm I think."

" You think?" Sophia frowned at him.

" Huh?" he looked at her. " No, I'm.. I'm sure. It's 4 pm." he smiled awkwardly.

" Is Haley gonna be there?"

" Why? Is that gonna be a problem?" Sam asked. The sound of Brad closing his locker attracted his attention. He now walked in Sam's direction. Sam's heartbeat quickened. He tried to maintain eye contact with Sophia but unfortunately his eyes instinctively wandered off and landed on Brad who also couldn't keep his eyes off of him. He was getting nearer.

" No, I'm just asking." Sophia crossed her arms.  Brad walked past them, looking from Sophia to Sam. He didn't say a word to them but to Sam the look on his face spoke volumes.

" She won't be there." Sam returned to the conversation.

" Great. Then count me in!" Sophia exclaimed.

It was safe to say things were a bit awkward when Sam and Brad had to present their History assignment to the class. When they finished their presentation Sam was glad he finally got rid of the only thing in common he had with Brad. From now on he had no other ties with him.

After History class he went to the library but Brad followed him. And that upset Sam so much that he turned around and yelled at him.

" Why are you following me?"

" I'm not following you! In case you forgot this is a public place so everyone has the right to go wherever they want." Brad was about to walk past him when Sam shoved him away. Brad landed on the floor. Sam bent over him.

" Do not talk to me. Do not look at me. Do not even dare to approach me! You don't exist for me."