Chapter 7

Dean

Sam slams his foot on the gas like I told him to, and drives us to the bunker. I take my jacket off halfway there and press it against Lizzy's head to slow the bleeding. The shot she took from the vase won't kill her, but damn it'll hurt and it could still cause problems. 

"What hell happened back there?" Sam calls back to us.

"Crowley." I explain in one word.

"Damn it, I should've been in there." He shakes his head. 

"It's too late now, how close are we to the bunker?" I ask.

"Maybe, fifteen more minutes. There's a hospital at the next exit, you sure you don't want to stop there instead?" His eyebrows raise, but his gaze never leave the road, thank God.

"No, it was just vase to the head. She'll be find but the bleeding is bad."

"Is she gonna need any stitches, you think?" He looks at her head in my lap.

"Damn it Sammy, watch the road. And no I don't think she'll need stitches. But I wanted her out ASAP." I snap at him. She'll be fine I tell myself. What if she isn't? I think. Just go with what she said, if it's there everything's okay. If she's there everything is okay. I keep her head in my lap, the blood has started to slow down after the first twenty minutes of driving. We're almost there.

Sam pulls into the bunker garage and turns off Baby while I carry Liz to my room. I leave her stuff behind, knowing that Sam'll grab it when he follows me. I lay her down on my bed and slowly remove my jacket from the side of her head. The bleeding has stopped but the wound still needs to be cleaned, but I don't see any shards of the vase in her hair. Her hair is a mess, covered in blood and sticky, it clings after my jacket that I've set about a foot away in case I need it again. All I can do is clean, patch and wait for her to wake up. 

I hesitate to leave her in case she opens her eyes while I go to get some gauze and a wrap. When I walk back in, I'm not surprised, but also not happy to see she's still out. Sam comes in with Liz'z duffel once I start wrapping her head.

"We should put her in her room." He says. " Maybe put some of her stuff away for her so she doesn't have to worry about when she wakes up." He stays standing in the doorway, as if to silently say 'she can't stay in your room dude'. 

"Yeah, lemme finish this and I'll put her stuff in her dresser. Just put the bag by her bed." I instruct him.

"Sure, um, I'm gonna go for a supply run, we're pretty low on a lot of stuff. You good alone?" He gives a thumbs up. I glance and nod while I tie the knot on the bandage. "You need anything while I'm out?"

"No, I'm fine." I slide my arms under her back and knees.

"Not even pie?" I straighten up and pause at the mention of the of pie.

"Pie never hurt anyone." I turn around. "Now run let's get Liz settled, c'mon." Sam pivots and starts walking to Liz's room. He opens the door and sets the bag down by the foot her Liz's full size bed.  He asks again if I need anything before he leaves, and remind him of the pie and shove him out after I position Liz under the covers. 

Moving to the duffel, I unzip the bag and start to pull things out, placing them at the foot of the bed away from Liz's feet. First things are expected, the clothes, sneakers, the slippers, a book, a coat. But then things become more personal. The white box she pulled off of her headboard marked 'H.A'  rattles a little bit. I look at Lizzy, her eyes closed. It's just stuff, it's not like I'm reading a diary. I tell myself. Plus, you should know if she's hiding something

After I stick the clothes in drawers in her dresser like I said I would, I open the box. I see two hearing aids, a weird pipe thing with a rubber thing on each end, some alcohol swipes, and a few little spin wheels marked with an orange thirteen that has silver batteries. I decide to just put it on the nightstand next to the bed because there's no headboard like there was at her house. I pull out a leather bound journal with a tree design pressed into the cover, I set it next to the hearing aid box thinking she'll want to know where it is when she wakes up. 

I pull out the two stuffed animals, the bunny and a panda. Sure it's a little childish, but who am I to judge? I smile and choose to wrap one of Liz's arms around the two animals. She looks so innocent. She was, until this crap enter her life. What the hell would a demon want with her?  She was scared out of her mind when she saw her parents die, so she didn't get involved on purpose. I conclude. Whatever it is, she's not getting hurt again if I can do anything about it.

I turn back to her bag and pull out the last few things in there. A silver charm bracelet with 7 charms. A hand making the letter 'L' (ASL I assume), an open book, a electric guitar, a graduation cap, a compass pointing north, a wolf, and an angel wing. More angel wings, maybe she has a thing, or maybe something's going on. I realize. 

I reach in the bag and grab a folder with papers joined by a paper clip trying to fall out. I open the folder and glance at the papers. Liz's birth certificate. 'Lizabeth Grace Vassago'. And medical history including hearing tests as far back as ten years ago. I close the folder and slide it under the hearing aid box. Lastly I find two picture frames. The first is of her parents, her mom in a white dress, wedding picture. The second is a picture of her. Her red hair looks almost the same as her mom's in the wedding picture. But after I notice that, I see the angel wing necklace on a light silver chain around her neck. The chain is different than the one she has now. I catch little freckles on her cheeks that stand out like drops of amber. She doesn't look much different now, her features are sharper, and her skin is just slightly darker.

"Hhmmfff." Liz shifts her head on her pillow and whimpers lightly.

"Lizzy?" I move closer. "Lizzy?"