Chapter 18

Lizzy

I race to my room and lock the door behind me and sit on my bed in defeat. What am I suppose to do if I can't wear the necklace? I can't just pull an Elsa thing like in Frozen, but I can't expect to control everything right away. I decide there's only one thing I can do that makes sense.

"I'm not sure how this suppose to work, exactly, but I could really use some help right now Cas!" I call to the ceiling. My God I feel stupid. Probably look stupid to, just talking to the air, and asking a dude for help.

"What is it Lizzy?" Cas appears behind me. I snap around, slightly startled, even though I was expecting him.

"Teach me how to use my powers, now!" I command. 

"You seem upset, that does not seem wise to practice when you aren't stable." He comments. 

"Trust me when I say this is as stable as I'm gonna get for a while." I scowl.

"Very well, take a few deep breaths and then take off your necklace." He nods. I nod back like an idiot and take a few deep breaths like he said. I look down at the angel wings that rests a few inches below the hallow of my throat, slowly, without taking my eyes off of it, I reach up and undo the clasp. I walk to my dresser and place it in my hearing aid box where I know it won't fall off of anything. 

"I'm ready. What do I do first?" I urge before I loose my confidence.

"There are thing things that make Nephilim different from humans. Superhuman strength that exceeds that of angels in the class of Seraphs, Cherubim, Thrones, Dominations, Principalities, Powers and Virtues. You have enhanced durability, and will be able to withstand attacks from many different creatures, though I hope you won't have to. And you'll be able to see the halo on an angel. However, you seem to have telekinesis for some reason that I have not been able to determine." He explains. "I think the safest thing to try first is seeing my halo."

"How do I do that?" I nag.

"Perhaps I should stand next to Sam or Dean and you could see if you can find any difference. Then we could work on enhancing the difference so it's easier for you to see." He thinks aloud. "First, try unlocking the door."

"How did you-?" I start.

"I noticed it when I came in, you were distraught and facing away from the door, so I looked to see if something in that area was bothering you. Then I saw the door was looked." He answers quickly. 

"Right. So do I just move my hand and focus on the lock?" I interpret. 

"That is one method, another would to imagine the door unlocking." Cas supports.

"How do I move my hand?" I look to him for instructions.

"Any way you want." He says. I think about it for a moment, but then I think I know exactly what to do, I'd be moving my hands with this idea. 

"Open" I sign. The lock on the door twitches. I smile partly in relief and partly in amazement at my newfound skill. "Open"  I try again slower, flexing the muscles in my hands more as if to add more force to the lock. It rattles and starts to bounce back into an unlock position. "Open" I try concentrating on only the door. The lock switches back and stays put. 

"Oh my God! I did it!" I scream aloud and sign together. "I did it! Me, I opened the door! I opened the door! I opened the door!" I squeal while jumping up and down. I turn to Castiel and race towards him, hugging him as tightly as I can. He hisses in pain when I squeeze him a little too strongly. "Sorry. But I did it. Thank you!" I sign without voicing that time.

"You're welcome. With more practice you'll be able to move more." Cas smiles.

"You know Sign Language?" I ask.

"Angels speak all languages, even ones that do not require a voice." He reveals. I'm left dumbfounded for a few moments at the news. Sam and Dean burst through the door with fists at the ready in case of a threat. They both look around the room, confused, looking for peril. 

"Cas, if we've told you once, we've told you a million times, you can't just pop up like that." Dean huffs. "Are you okay?" He looks to me.

"I'm amazing! I opened the door! And-and Cas can sign! I opened the door!" I laugh. The lamp on my dresser explodes like the ones in the library did awhile back. "Sorry! I'll fix it, I'm just really excited!" I can't stop giggling. Dean walks toward the lamp and grabs my necklace from out of my hearing aid box. He hands it to me with a happy, but confused look on his face.

"What do you mean you opened the door? Sam and I opened it when we just busted in." He asks.

"No, when I came in my room, I locked it, and then I prayed to Cas, and made him help me practice. Then after, after that, I unlocked the door without touching it" I narrate the past few minutes while I hook my necklace back on.

"Why'd you lock the door?" Dean's brow crease together. 

"Really? That's the thing you got out of that short story?" I scoff at him.

"No, no, no. I got the unlocking thing, but why'd you lock the door in the first place?" He pries.

"I didn't want to be disturbed, but then Cas showed up and, well, then I did want to be disturbed." I try to rationalize under my breath. I look up at his concerned green eyes realizing he may not have heard my low voice.

"Please don't lock your door, Lizzy. What if something happens and no one can get in? Or maybe somebody tries to come in and finds the door locked, that's gonna scare them." Dean pleads.

"Fair enough, no more door locking." I smile tightly. Dean wraps his arms around me and seizes me closer, resting his lips on the top of my head. The way he does it makes me a little glad I'm small. 

"Thank you..." He holds me securely. "I love you, you know." He says into my hair.

"I love you more." I counter.

"Not possible." I feel him smile above me.