Lydia

"Deal." Jace scribbled my number down on an old receipt. "He'd also love if you could come to a party with us tonight."

"I'd love that..." She caressed my hand as I tried to hand over a twenty to pay for our food.

"My silent friend here is Alec and I'm Jace. You are?" He kicked me.

"Ow, yeah, sorry. I'm Alec." I repeated after him.

"I'm Lydia." She purred.

"Cool. Nice to meet you." I nodded and prayed she'd just take my money and give me my change so we could go.

"I'll text you when I'm off and then you can come pick me up for that party." She winked and finally gave me my change. It felt dirty when she winked at me unlike with Magnus who made me feel special.

"Sure. Thanks." I shoved the money into my pocket and walked to one of the tables to wait for our food to be ready.

"What the hell was that Alec? It's like you forgot how to flirt." Jace looked disgusted and glanced at the girl again. I couldn't even remember her name. And personally, I didn't care so I shrugged. Magnus was clearly the reason for my lack of fake flirtation. It just felt wrong to play along with it when I was stuck thinking about him.

"Seriously? She is hot and damn she's clearly ready to have some fun." Jace smirked.

"Then why don't you take her?" I offered.

"Because she only had eyes for you. I guess my sister and her friends aren't the only ones into your dark, brooding looks with those dreamy eyes of yours."

"What does that even mean?" I laughed; a year ago my heart might have stopped or I would have swooned but I was completely over the thought of liking Jace by now. I think by now I knew him too well; plus it didn't help that he was the straightest guy I knew besides my dad. Sure, I still sometimes dream about him and shit but I kept it under control most of the time.

"Come on man. You're, well girls think you're hot." He ran his fingers through his blonde hair and it reminded me of Magnus which made me smile. "Shit, this is awkward; one straight guy telling another that he's hot. Just promise me that you'll take her out."

"Fine." I heard our number and took the opportunity to leave the table.

"I just texted you." The girl purred as I took the tray with our food on it.

"Cool." I walked back to the table and handed Jace his milkshake because I knew he'd eat half of it before touching his other food.

"What did she say?" He asked with his eyes on her.

"That she texted." I took a bite of my chicken sandwich and moaned. It was amazing. They had to put something illegal in their food to make it taste this good.

"I'm glad to see you're at least excited about something." Jace rolled his eyes.

"I'm sorry, but you know I'm not into talking to people I don't know." I dipped a fry in some mustard.

"Yeah, but how else are you supposed to get to know them?" He made a good point but once again my mind shifted to Magnus.

"I guess that's true. Speaking of, I invited Magnus to the party." I decided that I would rather tell Jace here than have an awkward encounter at the party between the three of us.

"The biker douche?" He laughed but stopped when I glared at him.

I pointed at Jace with my fry. "He's cool and you just said that we need to talk to people to get to know them so why not talk to him? I mean he moved to a new school for senior year. That's got to suck."

"First off that advice is for girls that you want to hook up with. Second, I'll be nice to him but only if he's not as much of a jerk as I think he's going to be."

"Jace, what's your problem with him?" I raised my voice unintentionally.

He ran his fingers through his hair. "I don't know. There's just something about him that's off to me."

"Well, I disagree." I declared and stole one of Jace's onion rings.

"Want to make a bet?" He took one of my fries and dipped it in the ketchup and mustard.

"On what?"

"On whether or not he's a douche."

"No. That's stupid."

"Come on. I'll put fifty bucks down on it."

"I don't want your money, Jace."

"You're that sure of your new friend are you?"

"Yes. Now drop it."

"Fine. But just because you're going to be friends doesn't mean I'll be his friend."

"You do realize you sound like you're five, right?"

"Well, you sound like you have a crush." He countered and my heart stopped. Did he know? Was that why he was acting differently? Pushing me on girls more than usual? Did he know that I didn't like the fairer sex?

"I do not," I said weakly.

"I know. I'm just messing with you." He devoured his burger and I tried to force my breathing back to normal as I ate the rest of my sandwich.

A/N Does Jace know the truth? What about those shakes? What kind would you have picked? Which one would Magnus choose? 

Coming Up Next... Alec is texting someone but who is it?