Meeting the Truth

"Alec!" The voice cut through my dreams and I woke up abruptly. My eyes popped open just as the door burst open. "Alec, what are you doing in bed still?" My mom asked as her eyes narrowed in on Magnus who was rubbing his eyes. He was on the ground next to my bed, having fallen off when I woke up and shoved him away.

"Who is this?" My mom asked with kindness beyond how she was probably feeling. I knew my mother well enough to know her fake voice. Magnus was completely unaware of it as he stood up, in only his briefs and one of my black T-shirts.

"I'm Magnus," he held his hand out to her and she ignored it, "we met a couple of months ago when I came over before school started."

"Ah, the colorful boy," My mom gave him a look like she thought he was disease-ridden. I was horrified at her behavior. Do something. I demanded of myself. But, what can I do without making it worse? Clearly she was not ready for the truth.

"Mom, Magnus is my- He's my friend." I defended, not very well. I sat up and pulled a shirt over my head unaware of the fact that it was Magnus's rainbow sequined one. How could I have not expected them to come home early? My parents never had a good sense of time. I should have known better.

"Alec, Magnus!" Jace's voice echoed up the stairs followed by his heavy footsteps. "Hurry-"

Jace stopped at the door when he saw my mom. "Hurry, we're going to be late to the fundraiser." He covered smoothly. "Hey, Mrs. Lightwood. I thought you were going to be gone for the weekend."

"And what's it to you?" She looked down at Jace even though he was taller than her. She had the most terrifying look when she wanted to.

"Mom!" I was angry and embarrassed at her treatment of Magnus and Jace. Jace was used to it but Magnus wasn't. There was a reason that I had kept him away from them. Magnus was clearly upset, by the frown that he was sporting. "We have to get to the fundraiser. Magnus stayed over because we're riding together."

"And why couldn't you just ride with Jace?" She eyed Magnus again as he pulled on a pair of sparkly pants. "Clearly, you are not thinking about how this looks."

"Mrs. Lightwood," Jace stopped her before she could dig the knife any deeper. "We can't all ride separately to a Green fundraiser, can we? Cleary that would look bad."

"Oh, I see." She held her jaw stiffly "We'll discuss your having a friend over without permission when you get back." 

"Okay." I picked up my black jeans from the ground and pulled them on. My phone fell out and the screen lit up with the picture Magnus had taken of us kissing the night before. How could I have been so stupid! Mangus, quicker than I thought possible, stepped on the phone to cover it.

"I'll see you on Sunday night," I said as I picked up my phone, hoping my mom would take the hint and leave.

"Sunday night?" She exclaimed.

"Yes, it's an overnight fundraiser." I rolled his eyes which I knew would set her off again but also hoped that it would distract her. "I told you about it weeks ago."

"Don't you roll your eyes at me, young man." She turned on her heal. "I have half a mind to keep you home."

"Please do," I said with anger and stupidity I didn't know I possessed. "I would love to explain why I wasn't at the fundraiser that I helped create."

"Watch your tone." My dad demanded as he appeared in the hallway. "When you get back you are grounded. Enjoy this fundraiser because, after it, your ass will be home when you're not at school."

"I apologize if I've caused this little tiff," Magnus said, trying to help but once the words were out he clearly noticed that it was a mistake because he quickly grabbed his shoes and went down the stairs. "I'll be at Jace's." 

Jace hurried after him with a final apology look to me. "We need to leave soon."

"I'll be there soon." I nodded after him. 

"Explain yourself." My father demanded. He was cowering over me as I took a seat back on my bed. My mother came back into my room and gave me a seriously disappointed look. "We had to deal with your sister's attitude, but you've always been a good kid."

I had so many things to say to them both. I was going to tell them all about Magnus, sure we hadn't had sex, but we had gotten close. I was going to tell them that we had been seeing each other for months. That I was gay and always had been. I was going to tell them that I planned on leaving for college to never come back. Instead, I opened my mouth and all that came out was, "I'm sorry."

"That boy," My mom motioned to Magnus's phone that he had left. "He's a bad influence. You've never acted like this and then he shows up and you're causing trouble. You need to stay away from him."

"We love you," My dad added on. "We just want to see you succeed in life and this boy isn't going to help you. He draws attention to himself in a way that isn't acceptable. If you spend time with him people will think you're like him."

"And what's wrong with that?" I asked finally finding my voice.

"What's wrong with that?" My mom screeched. "He's going to ruin your plans. If you're going to become someone in politics like your father was then you have to make sure you're only around people that are good to be seen with."

"Dad you're not a politician anymore." I pointed out and regretted it when I saw the hurt in his eyes.

"You're right." He nodded. "I lost my career because of my friend. Because of what he did to the community I lost all chances I had of being someone. Don't make the same mistakes as me."

"Magnus isn't like Valentine. He is kind, friendly, and a better person than I could ever be." I said and I caught Magnus's eyes on my phone's screensaver. I wished that I had just shown my parents then, but I didn't. 

"That may be, but it doesn't matter. People will look at him and see a sick individual who is far too open. He will be your downfall and I will not allow it. You are going to call Jace and have him apologize for your absence. You're not leaving this house." My dad slammed his foot down and I knew there would be no arguing. 

"You can't do that!" I demanded even though I knew there would be no stopping it. That was problem of having parents who actually, honestly love you even if a bit misguided. They would do all they could to protect you, even if it was actually what hurt you.

"Do not yell at your father!" My mother hissed. "Call Jace now. In fact, give me your phone."

She held her hand out and I did the only thing I could think of. I chucked it at the wall behind me as hard as I could. It crashed against the wall and I saw it flash a couple of lights before going black.

"Alexander Gideon Lightwood!" My parents were pissed. "One month!" My father declared. "You are grounded for the month."

"With no phone," My mother said and I rolled my eyes.

"Not like I have one anyway." I didn't know what had gotten into me. "Just leave. I need to take a shower and calm down." I stood up and pushed past them to get to the bathroom down the hallway. I saw Magnus out of the corner of my eye. He was at the bottom of the stairs. I couldn't read his expression but I didn't need to. I had hurt him. I had had months to tell my parents and put it off. Then today, I could have told them the truth, yet I still lied. He knew, like me, that I wasn't ever going to change. He deserved better and I deserved to be alone.

A/N Hey, so how are you all doing? Sorry, this one turned out harsher than I expected. What are you thinking?