False Eternity

Magnus seemed to completely forget his anger, hurt, and the fact that we had just ended everything as he hummed happily holding onto my hand as we walked to the edge of the lake. I tried to act like him but I couldn't. How was I supposed to pretend that everything was okay? It couldn't end. I knew without him my life would never be complete.

"I'll tell them." I blurted as Magnus dropped my hand. He pulled his shirt over his head and tossed it to where he had already kicked his shoes. "Magnus?" I prompted because he hadn't reacted to what I had said. "Did you hear me?"

"I did." He winked and kissed me, just a soft peck to my lips. "That's great."

"You don't believe me," I felt so defeated. "I'm being serious. I can't lose you. I'll tell them as soon as we get back. I promise."

"Okay then." Magnus smiled and kissed me deeper as he reached up underneath my shirt to ease it off me. We broke apart only long enough for him to get my shirt over my head. His lips left my mouth and trailed down my chest to my abs. He was on his knees as he undid my pants. He slowly pulled them off and I leaned on him to pull them off. Once they were gone he stood up again slowly, kissing his way back up. 

"How about a swim and then we can continue this while we dry off?" Magnus offered and I simply nodded. He stepped out of his pants and waited for me to lead the way into the water. There was a small island in the middle of it that had a perfect sandy beach between the rocks and trees. 

"It's so cold!" I yelped as it hit my knees.

"Don't worry, I'll warm you up." Magnus wrapped an arm around my waist and forced me to keep walking forward. 

"No. No. No!" I was yelling by the time Magnus had pushed me under the cold water. I jumped up, shaking my head as the water ran down my body and launched myself at Magnus. He tried to move out of the way but I was too fast. He toppled over as soon as I landed on him. I laughed as his eyes widened and he sank down under the water. When he surfaced he was laughing with me. 

We spent most of the day in the water and laying out in the sun on the sandy beach. We would make out, holding onto each other as if someone was trying to rip us apart, and then Magnus would pull away and we'd both catch our breath. I understood his fear; he didn't believe that I'd tell my parents, but I was going to. Not just for him, but for me. It was time for me to be honest.

"We should start to head back," Magnus said finally as the sky started to turn pink. We had been dressed and sitting on the rocky ground for probably an hour. My stomach rumbled loudly and I blushed. "I should have brought food with us. I have it but I left it at camp. Sorry."

"Don't worry. I didn't even think about being hungry until right now." I lightly nibbled on his ear and he moaned. "We better hurry or I might just eat you."

"So many things come to mind." Magnus chuckled and winked at me. We walked in comfortable silence for aways and then talked about random things that came to our minds until we got back to the tent. I was impressed that Magnus knew the trails so well that he could navigate it even as we started to lose sunlight. We had collected some logs on the back so I kneeled down to make a fire, grateful that Magnus had matches with him. 

"Cookie dough or brownie?" Magnus asked as he held out two protein bars. 

"Split the difference?" I shrugged and he smiled. 

"A man after my own heart." He tossed me the cookie dough one as he opened the brownie one and took a huge bite, devouring half of it in that one bite. We swapped after I had eaten half of mine. He downed the other half just as quickly as the first one. Then he pulled out a bag of jerky, trail mix, and some pepperoni sticks. 

We sat close, in front of the fire, eating slowly while watching the stars appear above us. He leaned against me and sighed happily. I reached around him and played with his hair gently. I started to drift off due to pure contentment but just before I lost all consciousness Magnus shifted. I blinked and rubbed my eyes tiredly. 

"Sorry, but I can't stay awake any longer." Magnus stretched and ruffled my hair. "You may not need any beauty sleep but I sure do."

"Yeah right." I rolled my eyes and slowly got to my feet. Magnus dug through his backpack and pulled out a flashlight along with a sleeping bag.

"Why did you have all of this stuff with you already?" I asked him.

"I sort of planned our meeting with Jace. Either you would come with me or I would have come up here alone." He winked and pulled out a big, plush sleeping bag. "You're lucky I brought a huge sleeping bag or you would be frozen by morning."

"I was hoping you had something to share." I chuckled. "I promise to repay you."

"Oh, I have plans for that." Magnus wiggled his eyebrows and stuck his tongue out. "First, though I'll go put this in the tent and you can make sure the fire is out."

We worked quickly. I took one final look at the stars and joined him in the tent that was completely filled by the oversized sleeping bag. Magnus unzipped it and motioned for me to get in. He rolled me over and squeezed inside before zipping it back up against his back. We were facing each other only able to see because of the flashlight. Magnus pulled his bag into the tent and zipped it closed. With a click, we were surrounded by darkness. 

"It's so dark and quiet." I pointed out and mentally smacked myself for sounding like an idiot.

"I love it." Magnus slid his leg in between mine and snuggled even closer. "I've never had someone else up here with me."

I absent-mindedly played with his hair and slid my arm under his head so I could run my fingers along his back. "Do you come up here often?" 

"I guess." He shrugged, I still couldn't really see anything, but I felt his shoulders move. "When I need space or time to think I come here."

"Thank you for sharing it with me." I kissed him lazily. 

"As I told you before, I knew the moment I met you that you'd be up here with me, one way or another."

"How do you know those kinds of things?" I asked him, feeling completely lost while feeling seen for the very first time in my life. 

"I'm a dreamer." He chuckled softly and rested his head against my chest. "I know things because I imagine them and then do everything I possibly can to make them my reality."

"I wish I could be like you."

"Don't." He laughed again. "It leads to a life filled with great highs but even greater disappointments."

"I'd rather fall a couple of times than live in a wheelchair with legs that work perfectly."

"What?" Magnus laughed harder.

I blushed, glad that he couldn't see. "I just mean that life is meant to go up and down, yet I've been keeping mine on the level, boring ground. Not sad necessarily, but not happy either; just stuck, stagnant."

"Well, I'm glad that you're taking a risk on me." Magnus kissed my chest and nibbled up to my earlobe. "Now, you're going to hold me and we're going to sleep while we experience the highest point of my life."

"Sleep?" I shifted. "Now?"

"Yes, Alexander, I may love you, but tonight is for sleeping." He settled against me and I listened to his breathing until it became steady and deep.