The Backstory

"How do you feel?" Magnus asked as he pulled out of the driveway in my car. 

"What happened between you and Jace?" I asked, ignoring Magnus's question because I didn't think I'd ever be able to answer that question again. 

"It's a long story."  Magnus sighed. "Why don't we get you fixed up then we can talk?"

"I'm fine. Talk." I demanded. "I only came with you so you'd tell me. I know Jace would find a way around it and I'd let him. You can't."

"Thanks." Magnus said with sarcasm dripping from his lips.

"Why are you upset? I'm the one with the black eye." I pointed out, confused even more. Should I have just let them duke it out? Next time I would. 

"Yeah, and I'm just the guy you made out with before running away. The guy who you won't even let people see you with. Why could I possibly be mad?" Magnus shook his head in disgust and anger.

I felt my chest tense. How had I not thought about that? I was an idiot and a terrible person. I should have just let Magnus go. Why had I been so selfish? "Magnus," I said then stopped. What was I supposed to say? Sorry, I'm an asshole?

"Forget it, Alec. I should have known better." Magnus shook his head and turned into a parking lot under a street light. "Let me see your face."

"I'll be fine." I leaned against the door away from him.

"Alexander, let me help you." Magnus pleaded and I broke.

"Okay, but be gentle it really hurts." I smiled.

"Good. That teaches you for running off on me." Magnus smiled back then looked serious. "I know I said forget about it but can we talk about that?"

"I'm not ready." I admitted.

"To talk or to admit that you're attracted to men?" Magnus asked as he used a napkin from my glove box to wipe at the blood on my face. 

"What?" My eyebrows shot up. How could he be so open about it?"

"Alec, seriously, it's just us and not even an hour ago your tongue was in my mouth. I think we can both agree that you're into men. Unless I'm the only one and normally you're into girls. Are you bi? That's okay." Magnus said in such a calm voice that I could have thought we were talking about the weather and not my sexuality.

"I'm ah, um, me?" I finally said.

Magnus chuckled. "Okay, I can see that I'm not going to get much out of you yet, so why don't I say what I think?"

"I think you will either way." I smiled as he continued to clean off my bloody face.

"True." Magnus smiled and his eyes twinkled in the light. "I like you and I would like to get to know you better, but I'm not into hidden relationships. I've been burned too many times by them. If you need some time I can give it to you, but I'm not going to force you out of the closet, nor am I going to go back into it with you."

"I," What was I supposed to say? I wished that I could tell him I was ready, but I just wasn't. But, I also hated the idea of losing him. I reminded myself that I barely knew him but my heart, the asshole, didn't care. I needed him.

"How about you think about it? This isn't a decision that you want to rush." Magnus took my hand and gave it a squeeze. "Now why don't I tell you about what happened between Jace and me?"

"Thank you." I whispered meaning it more for his patience. I had completely forgotten about him and Jace to be honest.

"So, you know about his dad, right?" Magnus asked, looking out the window with my hand still in his.

"He's in prison." I nodded. Not many people knew about it or at least they didn't speak about it.

"Well, I'm the one who helped catch him." Magnus said with a sigh.

"What do you mean? How?" I asked him. "He was arrested five years ago." 

"Right, I'm not supposed to tell anyone this but what the hell?" Magnus shrugged.

"Tell me what?" I asked feeling more nervous. 

"First, you can't tell anyone."

"Jace knows right?"

"Yes, that's why he hates me. But, he can't say anything. He had to sign a document about it." Magnus started rubbing his thumb against my hand. I was sure he didn't know he was doing it. 

"Tell me," I demanded, not able to take it any longer.

"I'm a cop," Magnus said and silence followed.

A/N What do you think of that? See it coming? Sorry about the long wait!!! I had the first chapters already written so it was easier to upload faster, but now I'm writing them as I go. I have the basic plot figured out but still writing can take some time.