♪ Twelve ♪

The choir did tremendous again on Sunday morning. The whole church loved them, and after their last song, I could hear impressed whispers around me. I couldn't believe how well they performed in front of everyone. They started strong and ended even stronger. Even the harmonizing was spot on.

I wanted to stay and congratulate them, but Rich seemed in a hurry to leave. He made a beeline for the door as soon as it was appropriate to leave. I walked after him trying to keep up. I didn't know why he was so rushed, and I never got a chance to ask him.

I lost him in the crowd exiting the church, and I took it as my chance to hurry and tell the choir how well they did.

Summer smiled when I approached. She looked very pretty that day; her hair was curled around her shoulders, and she wore a skirt and a fancy blouse. I usually only saw her dressed in T-shirts and shorts.

"That was...wow," I said, unable to put how proud I was into words.

"It went so well!" Summer exclaimed. "We could not have done that without you."

She walked towards me and wrapped her arms around me in an embrace. She took me by surprise, and I froze before returning the hug. My mind went completely blank as my heart sped up. The only thought that came to my mind was: people in this town like to hug.

I tried to tell my chest to be quiet.

"Thank you," she said during our hug.

She was just thanking me, I reminded myself. She was so happy, she probably didn't even realize what she did. I should not have let it effect me so much. It was nothing but friendly.

"Jesse!"

We pulled away and I saw Rich standing a few feet behind me. He didn't look angry, just shocked. I felt my cheeks redden; he was going to have a story to tell now.

"Hello Mr. Daniels," Marie said, stepping up to shake his hand. "How are you?"

While they were talking, Summer whispered, "We're meeting at the café to celebrate."

I nodded. "I'll be there."

"Jesse," Rich said again, cramming his head to look around Marie. "Are you ready to go?"

My face paled. Did Marie just tell him what I did with the choir? Or was he just catching on? I was hoping to hide it for a while longer.

Summer looked at me, and noticing my expression, helped me out. "Jesse was so nice to congratulate us."

"He's a great kid," Rich said, so only I could recognize the sarcasm.

I frowned at him. "Well, great job again, guys," I said, keeping an eye on Rich.

I walked away with him without another word to any of them.

Rich held the door open for me. "What was that?"

He still didn't sound angry, just curious. He seemed like he could snap at any moment and start yelling, so I decided to tread carefully.

"I just wanted to tell them they did great," I said, more defensively than I meant to.

"Congratulate Summer?" he clarified for himself. "What a gentleman."

I couldn't tell if he was being facetious or not, so I decided to retort in case he was.

"I'm not allowed to tell the church choir they did great without making you upset?"

"I'm not upset, Jesse," he said when a group of people walked by. "I just told you not to get attached here, and I see you literally attached to Summer."