♪ Thirteen ♪

"Jesse," I heard someone whisper in my sleeping state.

I didn't want to react; I was extremely tired.

"Jesse, get up."

The voice belonged to Rich. I normally would just ignore him and roll over, but the fact that he was calling me Jesse in our hotel made me resurface a little.

"Hmm?" I hummed, my mind still foggy.

"Someone's here to see you," Rich said.

I snapped my eyes open. My mind would usually race with ideas of who it could be, but it was too tired. I groaned as I sat up. The person could wait.

"Who is it?" I asked, my voice mumbled, and my eyes closing slowly.

"Summer," Rich replied, walking to the other side of the room.

That made me move a little faster. I was still in a groggy daze, but I hurriedly put my contacts in and changed into normal clothes. My pajama shirt of choice that night was Ninja Turtle themed. It wasn't something I wanted people to see me in, though it did come with it's own eye mask, just like the ones they wore. It was my favorite show; I wasn't going to lie.

With my eyes still dropping, I walked to the door. When I saw Summer, I wished I could just crawl back into bed and sleep more.

She was wearing a pink sundress and her hair hung straight around her shoulders. Her eyes were bright, and she looked like she had been up for hours.

"Hi," she said, smiling.

"Hey," I replied, accidentally yawning.

"He's a morning person, can't you tell?" Rich said, coming up behind me.

I glared at him, and he chuckled before walking away into the kitchen.

Summer giggled. "Sorry Jesse. I thought you'd be awake by now."

It's only eleven, I thought, but didn't say.

"Anyway," she said, her smile faltering slightly, "can we talk?"

"Sure. Yeah," I mumbled. My mind was still barely processing anything.

She glanced towards the kitchen where Rich was probably watching us from a corner. "Your dad said we can walk outside. I want to show you somewhere."

I nodded, following her through the lobby. She greeted the lady at the desk. I was surprised to see her there; she hardly ever came.

After they had a five minute conversation about their family, we left the hotel. I was instantly awoken by the bright rays of sunlight piercing into my eyes. It surely wasn't raining again then.

"The sun's like an alarm clock," Summer commented, laughing. "That's why I don't get why you can sleep in."

"Close the blinds," I said distractedly, trying to shield myself from becoming blind. "And then R--my dad takes over the alarm clock duty."

I scolded myself mentally for almost saying his name. People really needed to give me a good twenty minutes after I woke up for me to actually start functioning like a normal person.

"Your dad seems nice," she said. "I hope I can convince him about your singing. This is the last week I'm going to let you sit out because of him."

"Good luck making him budge," I said, laughing dryly.

"I bet I can change his mind," she replied thoughtfully.

We walked passed the church. I wondered where we were going. I didn't really travel this much down the road, thinking it just led straight into the forest. Instead, it let off onto a slightly wider road.