♪ Twenty-Three ♪

I woke up to an empty hotel room. Rich had been going out more and more often. I always assumed he was bird watching, but never bothered to ask him otherwise. I was worried it would turn into a long story--or worse, a lecture.

I stretched and walked into the kitchen. A note was placed on the counter, something he usually didn't do. I read it over quickly:

Going to be out for a while. Call me if there's a problem. Don't leave until practice. Try writing a song maybe?

-Rich

I groaned loudly, slamming the note back on the table. I had really been hoping he was joking about me writing my own song.

I grabbed some milk and cereal, trying to take up as much time as I could. I hoped he would come back before I even began writing. I didn't have practice until later that evening, so I had to waste a lot of time.

It only took five minutes to finish eating. I sighed. I guess I was going to have to do something if I wanted to keep my writing team. I didn't want this writing to become a regular thing.

I took the tablet Rich had written his note on and went to my bed. I figured I may as well be comfy as I racked my brain for song ideas.

I pressed the pen point to the tablet and waited. I don't know why I thought I would be able to write and keep going, but nothing came.

I tried to think about what my other songs were about. Mostly parties and doing other crazy things. That shouldn't be too hard.

As I thought, my mind kept wandering to Summer. I thought about the day before at Nancy's house. I smiled uncontrollably.

When I knew I couldn't get my mind back on track, I lifted the camera from my bedside table. I thought about all the different pictures we had on the film. I frowned, thinking that everything we ever had was stuck inside the camera.

A lightbulb went off in my head. That sounded like something that could fit into a song...right? In my clouded mind, I agreed with myself. Since I couldn't get my mind off of it, I might as well write about it.

(A/N I completely made up the following lyrics, and like Logan, I've never written a song before. xD)

Everything we had, stuck in a picture. Everything we wanted, never to move.

I scribbled the aforementioned lyrics on the paper, singing them back to myself, imagining how they would sound.

I shrugged, deciding to go along with it.

Here was my one shot, stuck in this one shot, now I'm about to lose it all.

I continued as so. I kept singing it back with a melody I decided it worked well with. I kept writing.

Frozen in time, your beauty is captured, but it this all I have of you?

I kept writing for hours. There was something about getting everything I was feeling out in a sheet of paper. And singing it back made me feel more happy than I've ever felt while singing any other song.

No one in the audience could really understand what I meant by this song. It was too much of a Jesse thing. But I hoped that maybe someone, somehwhere would hear this song and realate. It was the probably the only way I could bring my two lives together: through a song.

When Rich came home later, he seemed really pleased that I had actually listened to him.

He picked up the tablet and read it over. "You wrote a song about Summer."

"No!" I denied.

"Really? Because you say her name in here at least five times."

"That's the name of a season, too, you know." I grabbed the paper out of his hand.