♪ Thirty ♪

"...Do not tell her who you are, do not make silly promises to her that you cannot keep, do not..."

Rich was droning on about my rules for my date with Summer, but I was only partially listening. My mind was more occupied with worry about the date. Was I going to tell her? Was it going to go well if I did?

"Logan, are you listening?" Rich asked, clearly growing annoyed.

"Yeah," I muttered.

He starting going on again, so I went to the mirror and fixed my hair. I wished for Theresa, more than ever, to do my hair again.

Suddenly, Rich grabbed my shoulder and gently swung me around.

"Hey--"

"Listen to me," he said, sternly, looking me in the eye. "Do not promise to take her back to Hollywood, or even give her the remote idea that you're famous, okay?"

"I'm not stupid," I deadpanned, though I must have been missing a few brain cells because I was planning to do exactly what he told me not to.

Rich sighed. "I know you're not, Logan. It's just, sometimes people are not as smart when they're around someone they really like. So, promise me that no matter how pretty she looks over your plate of pasta, that you will not tell her."

"Okay," I said, trying to avoid the whole promise thing. I took promises, sometimes, very seriously.

"Promise?" Rich urged, acting like he was talking to a toddler.

I sighed, and nodded, just so I wouldn't have to officially say it.

"Good. Just understand that even though you may really like her, you can't ruin your whole career in Hollywood for anything here. I know it may seem like this is all important, but it's not real."

I nodded again, wanting to be hurt, but reminding myself that Rich didn't know Summer. He didn't know that she made me happier than anything back in Hollywood. She meant more to me than a million awards. No matter what he or anyone said, the things in Hollywood weren't real; Summer was.

"Now, have fun," he mused, completely changing his demeanor.

"Thanks," I mumbled, leaving him to grab my keys and gift for Summer for when I picked her up: seed packets.

I went to the store after I walked her home the day before with a bouquet in mind. She loved flowers, and I thought it would be the traditional thing to do. But as I was picking them out, I realized I didn't want to give her something that would die in a matter of days. They'd look nice for a while in a vase, but eventually they would die. I wanted to get her something that would last. Something that started out as nothing and then became more amazing. I picked out a bunch of seed packets, so she could plant them, and possibly have them forever. That's what she deserved.

I called out a quick goodbye to Rich before heading out to the parking lot. My nerves were on high alert, but I urged myself not to let myself ruin the dinner. I was going to have to make it special, for her.

I took a deep breath before starting the car, and then headed straight to her house, bearing the little confidence I could gather. I couldn't tell if I was more nervous about going out with her, or telling her.

Unfortunately, her house was a sixty second drive from the hotel, so I didn't get much time to contemplate anything. I parked at the top of the driveway. I was almost exactly on time, so I didn't have a lot if time to think.

I climbed out of the car with a clear mind, seed packets in hand, and walked to the porch. There was no going back now, and I didn't want to.

Just as I started ascending the stairs up to the door, it swung open and Summer stepped out.