♪ Thirty-Six ♪

If I thought rehearsing for a concert was tiring, then being with Summer the day before the big party was completely exhausting.

We had practiced for hours with the choir, everyone wanting to sound perfect. We went over the the barn and rehearsed on stage for our big performance. The group was overly excitable, and it was almost impossible to get things done at first. I knew, by the time we finished, though, that we were going to be a hit. We sounded better than we ever had and everyone was going to love us.

When we finished practice, Summer and I hurried back to the church and went through our duet a few times. Now that I didn't have to hide my feelings for her, it was easier, and more enjoyable, to sing the song with her. It just flowed, and I couldn't wait to share the moment on stage with her.

When our voices finally had enough, we went back to the barn and fixed everything. Summer wanted it to be absolutely perfect, much to the dismay of Ty and Harley. Harley wasn't even there half the time; he showed up late for some reason, yet still felt the need to complain about how much work there was.

My feet were beginning to ache, just as the sun hid behind the horizon. We were still adjusting things with the evening air floating through the open door. My eyelids were growing heavy, and it seemed as though there wouldn't be an end to that day.

I took a seat in one of the chairs Harley was setting up, and closed my eyes for ten seconds.

"Can I please have that chair?" Harley asked, making me open my eyes to greet him. His tone was overly friendly, and I knew that with him, that was never a good thing.

"So sorry," I mumbled insincerely. I stood up slowly and gestured sarcastically to the chair. "There you go, Your Majesty."

He glared. "You'd better watch it. If I were you, I'd remember who has the upper hand here."

I groaned in frustration. "Then just do it, Harley! I'm so tired of your stupid threats. If you're going to try and ruin my life, I give you my permission to get it over with."

"I'm not looking for your permission," he replied smugly. "And they're not threats. They're promises."

He picked up another chair dramatically, and walked to the other side of the barn.

"What was that about?" Leo asked, walking up behind me.

I spun around and shook my head. "Nothing. He just always needs a chance to be obnoxious."

"I know exactly what you mean."

I would be lying if I told myself Harley wasn't bothering me anymore. Honestly, the burst of confidence was said through miles of fear. He truly could ruin my life if he wanted to; he figuratively had it in his hands. And he definitely wanted to.

Part of me did wish he would just start spreading it around. Maybe tell Ty and Leo first, turning him against me. Summer and I could make some kind of plan before I left, and then I'd say goodbye to everyone. But of course, he was going to want to stretch it out as long as he could.

"I think we're done!" Summer exclaimed from the stage. She slowly spun in a circle, taking everything in with her. A huge grin took up her face.

"Should we turn 'em on?" Harley asked her, his face practically glowing with pride he didn't deserve.

"Yes!" Summer cried.

Harley walked across the room to the electric box and flipped it on. Instantly, the room lit up like a Christmas tree. It looked amazing. The stars on the stage looked like the real night sky. The ceiling lights gave the room a light blue glow, and each of the tables lit with stars of their own.