♪ Twenty-Four ♪

I left for church a while before it started. I was able to convince Rich to come later since we were just warming up.

I rubbed my hands together, trying to get rid of the nerves I was feeling. Nothing seemed to be working, though, since I still felt sick to my stomach. Who would have thought I'd be worried about getting in trouble?

My worry built up as I entered the church. It was empty as it usually was during our practice. The choir was standing around the piano. They greeted me cheerfully when I approached them.

"You look like you just saw a ghost!" Marie said. "Are you alright?"

I nodded, unable to speak any words that would make anyone think differently.

More members tried to stop me from worrying, but I told them we should just begin warming up. The less I pondered what I was doing, the better.

I led them through some scales. They were actually ones I used to use before performing back in Hollywood.

I thought suddenly about Summer's sister. I wondered if she had ever been to one of my concerts. If there's anyone in town who would figure me out, it was her. Maybe she wouldn't even come this week, or maybe I sounded different live. Either way, I was hoping for the best.

The church started to fill up. It seemed more crowded than usual, but I thought that it was just because I was in the front this time.

I was surprised when I saw Leo enter the church with his mom. I was so glad that he had listened to what I said. I grinned, happy that something was working out for him after what happened with Ty the day before.

My smile faltered when I saw Ty and Harley follow him into a pew. They both looked completely irritated, similar to how I was feeling. I couldn't wait to hear how they were going to torture me after this.

Summer came up to me and asked if I was ready to sing the first song with them. We were singing it as a group. I took one last look at the crowd, seeing Rich on the end of one of the pews. He smiled at me, and I returned a weak one of my own.

We began the mass with a song. I sang as quietly as I could, trying not to already draw attention to myself. The church sang along, and for a while, things seemed to be going great.

We sang more songs throughout the mass. People sang along to every one, and they seemed to be enjoying it.

Then, it was almost time for me to sing. Everyone was seated after communion, and this was usually when they would announce the next song everyone was going to sing. Summer looked at me instead of giving the page number to the people. I nodded once, walking to the microphone she had out for us.

I took one last look over the crowd. Leo was giving me a thumbs-up. I smiled at him, then looked to his brother and Harley who stared at the ceiling angrily. Their mother looked content and peaceful, a look I've never seen on her sons.

I looked for Summer's family, and was relieved to see Ashley was not present. That made me feel a lot better.

Lastly, I looked to Rich. He smiled when our eyes met. I knew that would probably be the last time he was happy with me.

I looked down at the lyric sheet in front of me. I faintly heard Vincent ask if I was ready. I nodded quickly, and he began playing. I took a silent deep breath and waited to come in.

"I can only imagine what it will be like when I walk by your side," I began softly, trying not to sound too professional.

"I can only imagine what my eyes will see when your face is before me. I can only imagine," I continued, accidentally getting too into the song.