♪ Seventeen ♪

I knew I couldn't just leave the church without talking to Summer, especially after the amazing performance they put on. They became more and more comfortable in front of everyone. It reminded me of my own progress as a singer on the stage.

I fidgeted with the collar on my shirt as I stood by Rich just outside the doors. I think he knew I was waiting for her, but he thought I actually wanted to face her right then. I didn't, but I couldn't let things remain weird between us. Again.

It was as if the world was warning me not to get close to her. I knew I shouldn't, yet I kept trying to make it work. Every time I did, something stopped me, and we were back to awkwardness. I had to stop.

She finally came out of the church. She didn't run over to me like usual, and I first thought that was because of the near-kiss. But when she smiled at me and her eyes shifted towards Rich, I knew that wasn't the case. I knew what was coming, and I didn't feel like I had enough power to stop it, so I nodded.

She grinned. "Hey guys."

"Hey," I said, stealing a glance at Rich as he greeted her. I had no idea how he was going to take this.

"The choir did great again," Rich told her. Perfect setup.

"Thank you," Summer said, smiling. "You know, we're doing so great because of Jesse."

I watched as Rich raised his eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

"He's actually been helping us this whole time."

Rich whipped his head around to look at me, narrowing his eyes. I smiled sheepishly and waved my hand.

"He made us what we are," Summer continued, oblivious to the look I was receiving. "The reason why I'm telling you this is because he was only able to sing with us in practice. We really want him to sing at mass, but he said we should check with you. And we just can't wait anymore!"

Now he was furious. He must have put all of the pieces together, and he wasn't liking the picture.

"We'll talk about it," he said quickly to Summer. He began walking away. "Jesse. Here. Now!"

I glanced at Summer before following Rich down the stairs and to the side of the church. There wasn't anyone around, and this worried me. I wanted witnesses.

"How long?!" he shouted. "How long have you been disobeying me?!"

I frowned, hesitant to tell him the answer.

"Don't lie to me, Logan!"

I looked around nervously. I knew he was angry, but this wasn't the best place to be shouting my name around.

"Since we got here," I said sighing.

He threw his hands on his face in exasperation.

"Look, can we talk about this back at the hotel?"

"Sure," he said with venom, removing his hands from his face. "Because that's where you'll be spending all your time until I can get a plane ticket out of here."

"What?!" I exclaimed.

He was already walking towards the hotel, and I jogged to catch up to him.

He didn't say anything until we got back to the hotel. I was upset and frustrated with him. Usually, I praised him for being nothing like my father, but right then, I couldn't even tell them apart.

"Sit," he commanded when we got inside.

I cautiously took a seat on the couch. I rubbed my hands across my legs nervously as he paced in front of me. It felt like the day he told me we were coming to Churchwood.