♪ Twenty-Six ♪

I felt like someone pushed me down a flight of stairs. My stomach sank and my heart fell. Even my head spun. I had no idea what to do or say. I couldn't even look at him.

"I mean, I'm not an idiot," Harley went on, beginning to pace around again. "A New Yorker," he placed air quotes accordingly, "comes to little old Churchwood. He comes at the exact same time as this Logan character leaves Hollywood because he got into some huge trouble with the cops. Sound familiar?" His black sneakers stopped in front of me.

"Poor Summer is going to be devastated when she finds out her new friend is actually a spoiled movie star that almost went to jail."

I stood up suddenly, looking him in the eye. "You can't tell her."

His face fell for a second then a smirk crept onto his lips again. "Oh, I'm not going to tell her. That is, unless you don't. I feel like she does have the right to know. You have been leading her on an awful lot."

"You can't tell anyone," I warned.

He rolled his eyes. "And how much fun would that be?" He chuckled to himself, shaking his head. "What would you do? Sue me? I'm pretty sure you have enough money to go around."

I glared at him. I couldn't believe that of all people, it had to be him that found out. And then he decided to just keep it for blackmail instead of just tell everyone then. I wasn't even in deep anymore; I just completely drowned.

"I have to hand it to you, though, you have most of the town fooled," he said bitterly. "That whole singing clan you have worships the ground you walk on. It's a shame they're going to find out how terrible you really are. Heck, you even had Leo tricked. It's like you set your own trap, though, us coming to the one mass you actually sing at. That was the root of my suspicion after all. Great planning. I assume you never finished school?"

"You don't know anything about me, Harley."

"Does anyone?" he asked, looking around. "How many personalities do you have exactly?"

He shook his head; he wasn't waiting for an answer. "At least I know things will go back to normal once you leave. You brainwashed Summer, and now Leo wants to become a superhero or something stupid like that."

"You don't deserve them," I told him coldly.

"No, you don't deserve them!" he replied with just as much venom. "You have been lying to them this whole time!"

"I've been lying to them, but I've also been helping them. What have you done in this town other than try to control people?"

"I'll change the world when I find a place worth changing," he told me, glaring. "They're coming back." He walked away towards the opposite wall.

I turned just as the other three came into the room each carrying giant star decorations.

"Jesse you're here!" Summer exclaimed when she saw me.

"Hey," I said, smiling sheepishly, the words Harley spoke to me ringing in my head. I had to tell her soon. I should have told her before anyone else found out.

"Today is just more ground decorations, so we won't need the ladder," Summer told me.

"Good," I said robotically.

Everything felt completely different now that Harley knew. The whole atmosphere was changed, and I felt like an ominous cloud was following me. I never knew when he would tell everyone. Rich was right; I should have been more careful.

I found myself setting up a table with Leo later in the afternoon.

"Hey sorry about the whole Harley thing..." he began apologetically, "I knew you probably didn't want to be alone with him."