♪ Thirty-Seven: Part 1 ♪

"I just can't wait for tonight!" Marie exclaimed.

Summer had called for one last practice Saturday morning, but all we really did was talk about the event.

"I have a hair appointment soon," Marie continued, "and then I get to put on the dress I bought!"

"You're going to look lovely," Nancy told her. "I just hope my dress still fits! I haven't tried it on in weeks."

"I got a new bow tie!" Thomas told me. "Guess what it has on it?"

I smiled gently. "What?"

"The Bat Symbol!"

"That's awesome!" I replied. "I wish I had one like that."

He laughed. "We can share."

"I'm most excited about Mrs. Reel's apple pie," William said, rubbing his stomach. "It's delicious."

"Oh yeah," Marie said, nodding dramatically. "It's to die for."

"You guys are making me extremely excited," I told them.

"You should be excited, Jesse!" Vincent exclaimed. "It'll be the time of your life. I guarantee it."

I looked over to Summer. She had been back to her bubbly self that morning, and I could tell she was trying not to be overly excited.

"So, Miss Party Planner," I said, "what dish should I be most excited for?"

She smiled. "The apple pie is delicious, but my personal favorite is Mr. Bark's homemade chocolate."

"Oh my goodness," Nancy said from behind us. "I totally forgot about that. How yummy!"

We went on talking about food until everyone was absolutely starving.

"I guess we should all go home and get ready for tonight," William said. "We'll see you guys later!"

We all walked together out of the church.

"This is really exciting," Summer said to me when everyone had gone. "I love how happy it makes them."

"Me too," I replied. "It's pretty amazing."

"And the weather is perfect," she added, squinting into the beaming sunlight. "Things can't get any better."

"But I'm sorry we've been so busy and haven't had time to do anything fun," she said apologetically.

"Don't worry. I've been having fun," I told her honestly.

"Good, but in case your lying, I have a surprise for you tomorrow."

"A surprise?" I asked curiously.

She nodded and grinned. "I have something really cool to show you, but that's all I'm saying about it now."

"Ugh," I groaned. "Now what am I going to do until then?"

"Enjoy the party," she suggested smugly.

I sighed. "Alright."

She laughed. "Well, I gotta get home and help my parents cook. I'll see you at the barn at around four thirty?"

"Sounds like a plan," I said.

***

I had forgotten my key for the hotel, so I had to knock and wait for Rich to answer. It took him a few minutes, but finally it swung open.

Rich didn't even smile or greet me. Instead he kept a grim expression on his face.

"Hey, Rich. What's--"