♪ Twenty-One ♪

A\N I have a question about my next book at the end of this chapter. Comment what you think! :)

I couldn't help but feel a bit on-edge as I followed Summer after practice. It was going to be awkward working with them, not to mention the fact that they told me not to be with Summer anymore. I was sure they weren't going to be jumping for joy when 'Cowboy Jesse' showed up.

"There's a path through the woods that we take when we're hiding decorations," Summer told me.

I stopped walking. Was it the same path in the woods that I saw them before? It all made more sense, though it still meant she was lying about not spending time with them even from the beginning.

She gave me a curios look, but I just said, "Oh," and began walking again.

"Your friends sure like to spend time in the woods," I commented with little humor as we entered the woods.

She stiffened slightly. "I guess there's no where else for them to go."

"I don't know, maybe the movies, mall maybe?" I said, almost flabbergasted that it seemed normal to her.

"I don't know, Jesse," she said coldly. "I guess they just can't."

"Right," I scoffed. "They have to keep up their bad boy reputation. Hide in the woods and you're a mystery."

She froze, and I looked at her. "You help everyone else in town. How come you refuse to make an impact on them?"

She then walked away boldly in front of me. I knew she wasn't waiting for a response, and I would have none to give. The only excuse I had was that those jerks didn't want to be impacted by me. Unless, of course, I could impact my fist into their face.

I sighed before walking behind her. I knew whose side she would be taking that day. I was going to have to be on my best behavior.

Summer was already outside of the steps of the town hall when I came into the clearing. Suddenly, Harley opened the door and grinned at her. My stomach sank, but I was going to have to get over it. They were friends.

Summer looked over at me and said something to Harley that I couldn't hear. His face instantly fell and he narrowed his eyes in my direction.

I began to walk faster. Harley gave me a tight smile when I approached them.

"Yehaw!" he exclaimed. "How did you know we needed a lasso to hang decorations?"

I gave him a flat look, but forced myself to remain civilized. I thought about what Summer said about impacting them. What could I do? I guess do what I was best at: acting.

"It's nice to see you, Harley," I choked out, smiling. This wasn't acting; this was torture.

He frowned. It's like he wanted me to be hostile. He wanted me to look bad in front of Summer.

"Are you here to help, or did you just come because you like to follow Summer around?"

Apparently, Summer didn't hear this, and I didn't reply, knowing whatever came out I my mouth was going to be vicious.

"We have a lot of work to do," Summer said.

"Let's get started," Harley said, keeping his eyes on me and smiling wickedly. I groaned internally. This wasn't going to be fun.

We opened the doors and went inside. There was a huge room that looked almost like the inside of a barn. In the front of the room was a large stage. The ceiling was really high and the walls were made of wood. A few single lightbulbs hung from the ceiling, giving the dark room a faint glow. The floor was hard and there were a few piles of hay around. I didn't know how they could hold a party in there.