♪ Fourteen ♪

"So, what's the story behind the painting?" Rich asked as I balanced the painting on a spare nail above the couch.

"Summer painted it," I replied, concentrating mainly on making sure it was even.

"Wow, that's pretty good," he said.

"It's amazing," I breathed, admiring her work.

"It's almost time!" Rich exclaimed suddenly from behind me.

I turned and smirked. Ever since I brought home the bird watching brochure the day before, he hasn't stopped talking about how exited he was. He signed up literally seconds after he read it. Although I did find it a bit odd, I was glad I could make him happy.

"Logan, do you want to join me?" He asked. "I didn't sign you up but I'm sure-"

"No," I cut in too quickly."I mean, it's okay. You may as well go enjoy it with the group alone this time. No need to make trouble to get me in."

"Alright," he said. I sighed in relief. "I'll tell you all about it."

"Great," I muttered.

"I have to get my book!" He exclaimed, running into his half of the bedroom. I shake my head at his enthusiasm.

When he returned, he had his binoculars around his neck and his book in his hand. He was wearing a sun hat an a pair of outdoor boots that I've never see him wear before. It was quite an outfit he had going there.

"I don't want to leave you alone all day."

I couldn't tell if he meant that he felt bad leaving me alone, or he didn't trust me alone again. I assumed it was the latter.

"I'm not going to do anything bad," I said, raising my arms in innocence. He raised an eyebrow and I sputtered in mock shock. "W-What do you think I can do wrong in this town?"

He eyed me uncertainly for a moment. "I'm still trying to trust you again."

"I'm completely trustworthy," I defended.

"You think?" he asked, chuckling dryly. "So, if I ask you to stay in the hotel until I get back, you'll do that?"

I didn't respond right away. I had to go to choir practice soon. There was no way I was going to miss it. I either had to lie to him, or get permission to go out. My Logan acting side needed to redeem itself, so naturally I was going to lie. I was just going to have to make sure I actually got back in time.

I sat on the couch. "I'll be right here when you get back at twelve."

"One," he corrected.

"Right," I said, nodding. "I'll be here for the next three hours."

"Thank you," he said sounding relieved. "I really hope you choose to listen this time. If not, there will be consequences."

"Like what?" I asked. Since when did Logan Myers need punishments?

"Like coming bird watching with me."

I opened my mouth. "What? I love bird watching with you!"

He gave me a flat look. How did he know I hated it? My years of acting were going down the toilet. I was going to need to stay in Churchwood. I was going to get laughed at in Hollywood. At least I had been singing regularly.

"I'm going to get there early," he said. "Stay here."

"Gotcha," I said, nodding. "Have fun. Make some friends."

He nodded excitedly before walking out the door with enthusiasm in his step. I chuckled to myself. He was quite something.

I got dressed and left the hotel a few moments later. I was hoping Rich would make new friends and cause him to leave me alone more often. I couldn't handle coming back to him every day and answer eighty six questions.