16

Shaileigh

I got into my mom's car as we observed silence for the majority of the car ride. She then stopped by the grocery store & looked at me. I knew she wanted me to come with, so I did. I didn't want to fight with my mom or make her angrier.

She did her shopping in silence. I didn't bother to ask for anything because I knew death stares were coming my way. She didn't even greet the cashier or ask them how their day was at the checkout. Usually my mom is kind & friendly so she does it. But this was when I knew I fucked up.

We walked back to the car. I was behind her the whole time while she was walking slow, stiff if you ask me. 

She loaded the groceries herself, I tried to help her but she'd just look at me & I'd step away.

We then got into the car & she drove us home. Silence invading the car again. She pulled into the driveway & put her hands on the steering wheel. She was about to open her car door but she dropped her hands.

"Shaileigh," she looked into the distance.

"Yes mom," I said quietly.

"Shaileigh Monica Abeles what did you do that caused you to get suspended from school for two days?" she asked with her eyes closed, seeming almost rhetorical.

"Okay mom listen. I got myself into some trouble because I stuck some stuff up at school," I said quietly.

"What exactly did you stick up?" she asked.

"A paternity test," I said.

"Who's?" she asked.

"This other guy. Hayes Grier," I answered.

"Now tell me, are you pregnant?" she asked.

I caught my breath. I didn't know what to say. Should I lie or tell the truth? I was torn.

"This girl in my class asked me to do it. She begged me. Because he made her pregnant & was denying paternity of the child. He was humiliating her. I had to mom," I explained myself. She then turned to face me & looked at me for what seemed like ages before I felt a stinging sensation on my cheek. She had hit me.

"Why are you lying to me! I got a call from a man named Doctor Jules today telling me about your pregnancy!" she screamed & I started to cry. She looked at me with eyes of rage. She didn't have a care in the world.

"Stop crying," she hissed & I tried to stop. She then put her hand on her mouth & looked at me.

"You have half an hour to collect all the things you want to take with you. No young child of mine will stay in my house if they're pregnant. Welcome to the real world Shaileigh," she said & got out of the car.

I started crying again but then I realised time was running out. I quickly ran upstairs, took a big bag & stuffed as much as I could. I went back downstairs, a waterfall on my face & stood by the door.

"Mom," I called out & got no answer.

"Mom," I called out again. Still no answer.

"I'm really sorry. & I hope you can forgive me. I'll be back if you want me to," I cried.

"I love you mom," I wailed.

"Get out!" she yelled & something  smashed in the kitchen. I whimpered & was out in a flash.