Chapter 24

Chase

"What!!?? What happened? Is she okay?!? Please tell me she's okay!"

I looked at the blank wall in front of me. I felt anger, sadness and numbness.
She has to be okay.

"Sir, Ms. Styles has you as her emergency contact. Something happened, but we would like to talk to you in person, so if you please come to the hospital, we will be happy to tell you more."

"Im on my way." I hung up the phone and bolted for the front door, not caring to lock or even close the door. I hop in my car and speed to the hospital.

This is all my fault. If I let her stay home, if I didn't push her to go, she would have been safe. She wouldn't be in a hospital bed with who knows how many injuries.

Whereas it would take a half hour to get to the nearest hospital, it took me a little under 10 minutes to get the entrance. I hopped out of the car, running inside.

"Blake Styles! I need to see her! Where is she??" I yell at everyone, looking crazier than I ever had. "Someone, please, help, my best friend...... please!" I sobbed in the middle of the hospital entrance, not seeing a nurse coming towards me.

"Sir, Chase I assume? Please follow me." The nurse put a assuring hand on my back, leading me away from the weird stares I was getting.

"Please tell me what happened."

The nurse stayed quiet until we entered a secluded room that was no bigger than a closet. The room held two seats, me taking one of them.

The nurse looked down and started talking. "Sir, your friend was walking home around 8:00 p.m. when a drunk driver had swerved onto the sidewalk, colliding with your friend, Blake. Paramedics took her hear, stating that she was none responsive when she was being transported. The revived her and took her into emergency surgery to stop any internal injuries that she had obtained."

My sobs only grew louder, but I had to ask questions. I had to know how extensive her injuries were. "So there are for sure internal injuries. If there were none, she would be in a hospital bed where I could go see her, yet you're telling me all this because she is still in surgery, correct?" The nurse only nodded. "How long has she been in surgery?"

"For about an hour and a half now. The procedure should take about 4 hours or so."

I nodded, continuing to ask questions. "What other injuries are there? Is there anything I need to get so I can be sure to have everything she needs when she gets out? Will she be okay?" I wanted to be prepared. I wanted Blake to be okay. No. I needed her to be okay. She was my life, if she was gone, I'm sure I wouldn't be here for much longer. She's my other half. She's my sister.

"As of right now, we know of her having a broken left arm and most of her ribs are broken. Her leg has an awful sprain but should heal quickly. The one thing the doctors were most concerned about were her head injuries..."

"Head injuries? What kind of head injuries!!??" I yell, only to apologize. This lady has been nothing but kind and has been giving my all the answers I needed.

"When we brought her in, she had blood on both of her temples. On temple had been dragged across the asphalt, causing a wound. The other had been hit during the impact of the car. There are concerns about whether the one that had been hit will cause memory loss or slight confusion."

"So she may not remember anything..... or she may not remember the accident.... it's either one of those?" The nurse nodded.

"There is a slight chance that nothing had been affected and she will remember everything." I nod, taking in all of the information I was being given. I had to ask one final question, the question I was dreading to ask.