Chapter 20- There's Always A Choice

"You have a choice," Rhea spoke as she closed the laptop I was working on so she could get my full attention.

"I know but I'm not choosing anything right now," I said as I opened the laptop.

"Yeah but you made your choice when you forgave him," she said as she again closed the laptop.

"Well yeah I did but it's just about liking and you're talking about love. C'mon Rhea me and love can't happen. I'm sure he'll stay with me for a while and then when he'll get bored he will behave just like Rich-" I started and stopped at the name of my ex.

Rhea's eyes widened in shock when I didn't finish my sentence. I never told anyone about Richard, only four people knew about him. One is no more and the other three would never speak of him.

I have tried forgetting everything that happened and I don't want to remember him at all. Richard was one of those boys who took me for granted. I gave him my everything but what he wanted was to satisfy himself.

He broke my confidence. He took my dignity. He crushed my pride.

What more do I have left now to give Chase? Chase is a great guy but he won't understand why I have trust issues. If I tell him, for sure he'll leave me.

The blind date that keechee set me up on had his name on it. Was it him or someone else? I never found out because Chase showed up instead of Richard.

"Who's this Ric dude?" She asked, her eyebrows furrowed.

"No one important," I replied, not making eye contact with her and she impatiently moved my chair so I could face her.

"I know you well enough to know that he isn't important but you sound hurt," she stated.

"I don't want to talk about him," I said as I stood up and walked around.

"But if he needs a beating, tell me, I'm always free to beat the living shit out of someone," she replied standing behind me.

I smiled at her statement. "I love you Rhea," I stated and hugged her.

"Correct the sentence and say I love you chase," she said in a dreamy tone and I broke the hug and started laughing.

"You are crazy, I have to make the presentation so I'll go. See ya," I said, looking at her and opened the door to bump into a muscular body.

"God," I muttered as I felt a pair of hands on my shoulder, helping me balance.

I looked up and saw Chase standing right in front of the door. He looked back and gave Rhea a meaningful nod and she cleared her threat and left the room from another door.

"Chase?" I looked at him and he smiled.

"Yep, the one and only," he stated.

"You can let go now," I said and he let go of me.

"What are you doing here? Why are you outside my door? Did you need something?" I asked and he looked away, scratching his collar.

"Chase, how long were you standing here for?" I asked, trying to find his eyes which wandered around but never met mine.

"Umm... would I be exaggerating if I said 5 minutes?" He asked innocently and I chuckled.