Chapter Sixteen: The Friend

Aesha’s POV

 I stared at the house in front of me. It big and rich, no wonder because he’s the only child and his parents worked hard in the company. Though he’s rich, he never forgot about his friends and always stuck their side, making them laugh. He has a great personality and always optimistic.

But that was all in the past.

He’s already a popular guy all over the school and dating – of course – that famous diva queen of the school. He drives his blue convertible with his new friends and girlfriend instead of catching a ride with his former friends. He’s now a heartless jerk. He showed me how people could change so easily.

“Aesha, are you just going to stand there and look at his house?” I realized Kennedy was already standing on the front doorway, her arms crossed.

I turned and smiled, “Don’t worry, I’m coming.” But her gaze was already focused on the large peach colored house in front of hers.

“Do you miss him?” she asked, her eyes still glued to the house. “Kind of,” I sighed.

She raised an eyebrow, “Kind of?” She was looking at me as if I lost my mind. Did I say something wrong?

She took a deep breath, “Just follow me inside.”

I stepped inside her house and it was just like I remembered. A hall after the front door with green walls. The house had an old fashioned design because it once belonged to Kennedy’s grandmother. Though, they took care of it well.

My best friend was wearing a simple black t-shirt and sweatpants. Her very dark brown curly-ish hair was pulled up into a ponytail and as usual, her glasses rested in front of her eyes.

Her mom was working a few times a week and her dad was working out of the city, so most of the time, she had the place to herself. She led me to her room upstairs.

The first time I looked at Kennedy’s room – which was a lot of years ago – I hated it because it was completely decorated bright purple and pink. She told me that her mom persuaded her to keep it that way because the colors were picked by her great grandmother. It was simply like that up to now. But she did a good job making it look less like a four year old’s room.

I sat cross-legged on her bed and she did the same and sat beside me.

“So, how was your Christmas? In the hotel, I mean.” She said. Every day I see Kennedy like this, with her happy attitude gone, I always wished it would come back.

I shrugged, “Cole was there…”

I just told her as far as Mom dating someone and my family spending our Christmas at the hotel.

I showed her the shiny expensive bracelet wrapped around my wrist, “He gave me this for Christmas,” I said.

Her brows knitted together, “You made up?”

I bit back a smile, remembering the day he gave me this.

He gave me a playful smirk and clearly, he was hiding something behind his back.

“Cole, where’s my gift!?” I demanded. He rolled his eyes and raised the neatly wrapped Christmas gift on top of me.

“I don’t think you deserve this,” he said. I crossed my arms over my chest and pouted, “I gave you a gift! Didn’t you like the jacket I gave you?”

He chuckled, “I’ll give this to you in one condition,”

“And what is that?”