Chapter Seventeen: The Birthday

Aesha’s POV

“Aesha, honey, where are you going?” Mom asked when she saw me about to rush out of the door.

“Just going out!” I answered. Which was one hundred percent true.

“It’s your birthday, honey! Be back before lunch!”

Every birthday of mine since I met Cylene, I’d always go to the cave to freshen up and release the cold. I enjoy my alone time there then the rest of the day, I hang out with my family and friends. I don’t know how it’s going to be like now, when my life’s different, though.

I walked towards the usual spot of the cave. I wore a baggy t-shirt and some leggings along with a pair of flats.

I always kept on wondering since last night how this birthday is going to be. Without Brent, with Cole, my siblings fighting and my mom dating someone.

Well, speaking of Sean, I did a little thinking and advice from Kennedy and I finally decided it was Shaelon who’s the jerk. It turns out that one night – while he was completely sober – Sean kissed Shaelon’s lifetime crush, Nick. Shaelon was so mad when Sean accidentally let it slip while they were in the library. My sister threatened to tell everybody and Sean happened to be holding a pair of scissors…

I tried talking it out with both of them, but their fights have become worse. I won’t be surprised if one day they’ll end up killing each other.

I walked inside the cold cave, savoring the breeze that greeted me there. The cave was in perfect condition with the help of the winter season. The ice walls were smooth and mirror-like, a fresh and soft coat of snow cooled down my feet and – of course – the majestic fountain where the ice cold water sparkled.

I raised my hand up, controlling the water. I soon levitated a ‘piece’ of the water and made it swirl around the cave. With my other hand, I took out another strip of water from the fountain and together, the waters swirled around each other, rising to the top. Soon, the water exploded into tiny cute snowflakes.

I smiled proudly at my tricks and proceeded to sit on the ground.

Nothing could go wrong in my birthday, right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Cole’s POV

I’m so stupid, I’m so stupid, what the hell am I going to do? Today was pretty much the seventeenth birthday of the girl of my dreams and I freaking nothing to give her. I promised her a gift and I have nothing.

Smooth, Cole. You promised her and you can’t keep that.

I just wanted to give her something really awesome that she’ll finally kiss me. I want her to be really happy on her birthday. I want to make her happy.

But how?

How the hell am I going to do that?

“Hey, Cole! What is wrong with you?” I was jerked out of my brainstorming by my sister. Cylene, why?

I gave her an annoyed look, “What?”

She smirked, “You’ve been lost in your thoughts for a while.”

I panicked inwardly. All Cylene knew was Aesha and I weren’t hanging out anymore and we just continued on with our lives.

“Are you going to that party Dad mentioned?” I asked.

She looked irritated. She knew I knew the answer the answer to that. I just asked her to make sure she won’t see me with Aesha there.

“No,” she said.