Chapter 5

Thanksgiving is in a few days. Today was the last day of school before Thanksgiving break, or fall break. That's what they call it in public school.

Mr. Powers let us chill for the last day and said that we could do an optional prompt for extra credit. Most people were not going to do it but I decided that I might as well.

I like Mr. Powers' style of teaching because he tries his best to stray away from cliches. You know, the usuals thanksgiving prompt is 'what I'm thankful for is...". I admire how he twisted it around. He has us writing about someone who we think is thankful for us. The problem for me is, I don't have anyone to write about besides my mom. And some friends of course. I feel like I haven't talked to Leah in ages. She probably thinks I replaced her for Jayven but it's totally not the case.

"I'll have to call her tonight..." I thought.

I looked over to where Jayven was and he was talking to some guys in this class. They were talking and laughing like boys usually are. I guess he felt my gaze because he turned and waved to me.

"Hey Princess." he said smiling.

I just blushed and shook my head, getting a start on my essay.

°°°

"Maliya, can I talk to you?" I heard Mr. Powers call as I was leaving the class.

"Sorry, I really have to go," I said rushing out. He called my name but I just walked away. If I talk to him I don't know what I'd do. I hadn't realized how much I missed the feel of his soft lips on mine until we were alone again for that split second.

I tried to regather myself as I opened my locker stuffing books in and taking books out. I had a fair amount of work to do over break.

"Hmm if it isn't Maliya the slutty ghost." I heard the voice of Leah say as she shut her locker and threw her bookbag over her shoulder.

I rolled my eyes. "Don't be like that. I was gonna call you."

"Yeah? When?" she snapped. "Whatever, I don't care anymore." she said.

"Well, I told Jayven I was gonna take the bus. So I'm going with you today." I said pushing her to the side as we walked down the stairs. I grabbed my phone out of my pocket and held it in my hand while we walked out into the cold. I looked at my phone to be greeted with a shit load of missed calls.

"30 missed calls!?" I exclaimed.

"Oooh maybe Jayven wants to take you out or something." Leah teased.

I shook my head. "They're from my mom." I hurriedly called her back as I walked towards the end of our campus.

"Hello?" my mom said in a rush.

"Yeah mom what's wrong?!" I said as I stopped in my tracks Leah stopped with me and stared with a concerned look.

"You have to get home quick, Maliya. There's been a fire."

" Oh my God mom I'm on my way," I heard the phone click and I ran towards the parking lot.

"Maliya! Where are you going? Is your mom okay?!" Leah yelled as she ran behind me.

I was hoping that Jayven was still here. And thank God he was. But he was talking to the Terrible Tyra. My mind was elsewhere so being jealous was the last of my worries.

"Jayven, can you please drive me to my house? There's an emergency and I really nee-"

"Say no more, Princess," Jayven cut me off, "you know I'll drive you."

I thanked him and hugged him quickly then I got in the front seat and Leah got in the back. Tyra stood with her arms crossed and her mouth ajar as Jayven pulled off.

"Princess?" Leah questioned from the back. "Are you two d-"

"No." we both said simultaneously.

"We're just friends," I assured her. She nodded and leaned back and stared out the window.

Jayven stopped at a red light and looked me over. "Are you gonna tell me what's going on now?" Jayven asked with a concerned look on his face.

I sighed, "I don't really know, my mom just told me there was a fire and to get home quick."

"Is your mom okay?" Jayven asked.

"I don't know, I hope she is."

Tears welled in my eyes and I continuously thought of the worst. Jayven tried to drive as quickly as he could and avoiding lights. It seemed like forever before we got there.

"Oh my God!" I cried, looking out the car window. We tried to pull through the street but the smoke and police cars and fire trucks made it impossible. I instinctively unbuckled my seatbelt and hopped out of the car.

"Maliya!" I heard them call after me.

I ignored their calls and ran through all the turmoil and business that paraded my street. I tried to get to my house but I was grabbed by a fire fighter. "No! Let me go! That's my house!"

I screamed as I tried to release from his grip. "Where's my mother?!"

The fireman carried me over to an ambulance where my mom was on a gurney. "I wouldn't let them take me without you," she wheezed.

"She needs to be treated for smoke inhalation and some minor burns. But she'll be fine in a couple days," a female emt spoke with a sympathetic look on her face.

"Can I ride with her?" I asked.

The emt nodded and then I heard Leah and Jayven say they were gonna meet us at the hospital.

"We're taking her to Mount Sinai," the emt informed them. They nodded and ran back to Jayven's car. I got into the back and rode to the hospital holding my mom's hand. A few tears escaped my tear ducts. I was just telling myself how I only had my momma. And I almost lost her today.

°°°

Awee Jeeze! Will Maliya's mom be okay? What was Jayven and tyra talking about? And what did Mr. Powers want with Maliya?