Chapter 16

This may hit home for some readers. I try to make my characters as realistic as possible so each character is kind of loosely based off me or people I know.

Maliya

It's been about twenty six hours since my house had finally emptied out. It's just me, my aunt, my mother, and my tv. I couldn't decide whether or not I'd testify against Tyra and Jayven so I told the police I'd make my decision before school starts back up. The second is going to roll around quick and I need to make up my mind even quicker. In the perfect world, I'd testify. But this world is not perfect. I'd miss so much school to be in court. I'd have to relive the moments over and over again and I don't think I'm ready for that. It's all too much. I rather just forget about it and leave it in the past.

I sighed, taking a scoop of my mint chocolate chip ice cream. It's my favorite but I can't really enjoy it with all of this on my shoulders. So much was going on, I couldn't even talk to Keith about the kiss we shared the say before winter break.

"Moo Moo, can I come in," I heard my mom knock from outside the door.

"Yeah ma," I said.

My mom came in with a stressed look on her face. So much has been going on the past month and it's really starting to show on her.

"How you feeling?" she asked me.

"Mom, how are you feeling?"

She looked at me sideways and smiled slightly. Her answer never came but I had an idea of what it could've been. "I called your fath-"

"No, mom! Why?" I cut her off.

"You need to talk to him! You haven't spoken with him in months."

I shook my head, "I don't want to. He never calls me! He thinks he's entitled to me because he sends child support checks and money here and there! He can give that wife of his luxury cars and vacations but he can't even fly me out to California to see him or the twins! I haven't seen him in over five years and I can make it five more!"

Tears were now streaming down my face. I didn't know that I could cry this much. My eyes were already bulging and red.

"Listen here and you listen good! Your father may not have always been there for you but he does love you. You're his first child and he adored you as soon as you were born. When your dad left me, I told him that he had to leave you with me. He wanted to take you but I wouldn't let him. I didn't want him near you because I was bitter. But I've forgiven him. And you need to forgive him as well."

All of this came down on me at once. When I was thirteen I thought I knew everything. I swore I had all the details of my parents' divorce. I just thought my dad was cheating and ran off with this white woman but I guess that wasn't all that was too it. My parents had fallen out of love. There was nothing that could be done and looking back, I finally understand.

"He still could've called me," I sniffed. "He didn't even call me on my birthday! My eighteenth birthday," I cried.

My mom took me into her arms and held me there. I cried into her bosom like I used to as a child. I'm gonna miss being little and care free. I wish I could have my mom forever.

When the tears stopped, I sat up and my mom handed my phone to me.

"Call him. And I'm not asking you, I'm telling you."

My mom left my room and I stared at my dad's number. I always keep it saved even though I very rarely ever use it. His number has been the same since like 2004 so I just know it by heart anyways.

I hit my dad's contact and my heart beat sped up. The phone dialed and when he said hello, I nearly cried.

"H-hi dad."

°°°

°°°

This was a short little filler chapter. I just thought I'd give you guys a background of Maliya's home life before we get into the meat of things. But plzz do not forget to vote and comment. Tell me how ya feeling.