Chapter 24 (part two)

Maliya

The awkward silence was cut short by my dad excusing himself. He had to head to tend to another artist on his label. A younger and more demanding star, Skye Beasly, or Skye as most know her. She's only sixteen and my dad tells me some things about her unprofessional conduct. My attention focused back on the room. Well, more so the people in the room. Keith conversed quietly with his friends, and they'd glance at me from time to time. My nervousness ate at my insides and I decided then that I'd leave the room before I spewed out all my breakfast on the floor. The small trek to the vending machine gave me some time to breath and clear my mind.

I hastily fished through my purse for a loose dollar but I didn't have one. I sighed in defeat and closed my eyes. My lids shot open due to the sound of the machine whirring. It was swallowing a crisp looking dollar bill when I looked at the person who towered over me.

"Maliya, we need to talk." His eyebrows were drawn closely to the midpoint of his face. From the slight downward position of the corners of his mouth, I could tell he was concerned.

"What is there to talk about?" I crossed my arms as the water bottle thudded at the bottom of the vending machine.

"Honestly, I don't know, so much happened, in so little time."

I scoffed. "Yeah, you right about about that."

He grabbed the water handing it to me. I looked at him then grabbed the cool bottle of water. "I'll pay you back once I get some change." I licked my lips.

He rolled his eyes. I hate when he does this because he does it too well. You can feel the annoyance and frustration from just the roll of his eyes and clench of his chiseled jaw. "It's only a dollar. You don't have to pay me back."

I shrugged off his comment and headed back to the studio. Keith trailed behind me as we made our way back.

"I thought we were gonna talk." He grabbed my arm.

"Yeah you thought. But I don't really want to talk with you," I scoffed, removing myself from his grip.

"Why not?" He pressed.

"Nigga are you dumb? You're fucking crazy. All of this is. Whatever the fuck you call this. All this back and forth shit is really getting on my nerves. I THOUGHT I finally got rid of all my problems but you decided to be he-"

Keith grabbed my chin and pulled my face to his, kissing my lips passionately. My rant stopped abruptly as relief washed over me, causing goosebumps to form on my skin. I moaned into the kiss as his soft tongue roamed every inch of my mouth. His large hand gripped my lower back while the other rested on my cheek. We parted slowly and my eyes, previously closed, fluttered open like a butterfly with black wings.

His forehead rested on mine as his link lips curved upward into a smirk. I smiled back at him, and gazed at my reflection in his brown eyes. I looked at myself and reminisced about the pain I endured these past few months. It wasn't all due to this man but he was a part of the whole. A significant part. I pulled my hand back and slapped him across the cheek. The force was followed by a sound that reminded me of a crack of lightning. Keith stood there shocked, with his hand on his face. I made my way back inside the studio and sat on the couch. Everyone looked at me with concern but luckily, for them, I wasn't badgered with questions. Keith walked inside and sat on the couch opposite of me. I looked at him and he looked at me.

"Yo Keith what was y- bruh why yo face red?" Elijah said examining Keith's face.

Keith sucked his teeth and shooed him away. Elijah threw his hands up in defense and went back over to the guys and Maxine.

"We 'bouta lay this track down Liya. You wanna come over here and show me what you can do since Michael is running late?"

I nodded and made my way over to Maxine as the boys filed into the booth.

I ran my hands over the sound board and gave them the thumbs up. The track began to play and I turned their mics up so they'd sound perfect. Not singing over or under the music.

With Luke's soulful voice, Algee's airy rifts, and Elijah's strong range to tie it together, we finished the song in just under an hour.

"Great session guys." I smiled giving them all hi-fives.

°

I sat down scribbling a few words in my notebook. My feet were tucked under me as I sat Indian style. I sighed, closing my journal. I placed it in between my mattress. If someone were to get a hold of it I'd be in deep.

I had just closed my eyes when I heard something pop against my window. Groaning, I hopped out of bed putting my slippers on. I opened my curtain and saw little pebbles flying up on to my personal balcony.

"What the hell?" I asked myself.

I opened the double glass doors to my deck and stepped out. Looking down off my balcony, I saw an all too familiar face.

"What the hell do you want Keith?" I whisper yelled.

"I'm sorry, okay? I deserved that slap to the face. I deserve everything that has come to me. I wasn't fair to you but, I'm apologizing for what you went through. What I put you through."

No words came to my mouth. I stared at him as his neck stretched upward. His eyes pleaded for me to say something.

Keith

Maliya didn't say a word. She stared at me then ran back inside shutting her door. I sighed, looking at the single rose I got her as my head hung low. I hurt her too bad. I should've known this wouldn't work. I turned around ready to take a walk of shame back to my car.

"Keith! Wait!"

I turned on my heels to see Maliya running towards me in her pajamas. She jumped into my arms and held her close, letting out a sigh of relief.

"I forgive you. For everything. It wasn't all your fault either. I mean like, there are things I could've done differently as well but, I'm willing to move on from that."

I had the widest smile on my face. She giggled as her eyes glistened in the moon light. She leaned forward slowly and I did as well.

Our lips met in the most beautiful and synchronized way. The kiss didn't last too long but it was something out of a movie. I pulled back slowly and smiled.

I let her down and she led me into her house.

"You gotta be quiet everyone's sleeping."

I nodded and followed her through the large home.

°°°

One more chapter left. This is it guyths -cries silently-