Chapter 22

Maliya

"Hey baby girl," my dad spoke into my shoulder, "I missed you."

"I missed you too," I cried.

He kept his hold on me and I took in his scent as my tears drenched his shirt. He smells like I remembered. I always loved the smell of my dad's cologne.

I heard my mother clear her throat and we turned to see my aunt and my mom along side each other.

"Dad, what are you doing here?" I questioned as I shut the door allowing him inside.

"I came to see you off. To prom." he said.

I drew my eyebrows together. "Uhh. I'm not going on my prom."

My mom put her hand to her forehead. "Ugh really Nasir?!"

"What?!" he asked.

He and I both were genuinely confused.

"It was supposed to be a surprise," my aunt rolled her eyes walking up the stairs.

My dad looked down and shook his head. "I'm sorry Liy. I didn't know."

"Dad, it's okay, I didn't know either." I laughed, "But who could be asking me to go on prom with them?"

My dad shrugged and we sat on the couch.

"It's funny, after all these years, your aunt still can't stand me. Even when I first met your mom she didn't like me." he laughed, " I remember being fourteen, shaking in my boots and walking up to your grandparents house. Your Aunt Janice answered the door. She was mean as hell!" he laughed again.

I laughed with him and smiled, admiring my dad. I was proud of his success and even though he wasn't so much apart of my time growing up, I still love him and want to make him proud.

We sat on the couch bussing it up talking about the good old days and also doing some catching up.

A few moments passed and the doorbell rang. "I got it," I said hopping off the couch heading to the door.

I opened it and Yazz stood there with a huge smile on his face. "Hey Yazz!" I smiled back.

"Wassup big head. You ready to g- why is Nas in your house?" he stared behind me at my dad and I laughed.

"Bryshere, this is my dad, dad, this is my friend, Bryshere, but he goes by Yazz "the greatest"." I quoted, playfully rolling my eyes.

"Wassup," my dad dapped him up.

"Liya, I can't believe your d-"

"Yeah, yeah I know my dad is a Legend, big whoop. Can we go now?" I whined.

"Where y'all going?" my dad asked.

"Oh um, today is Leah's birthday and we're taking her out." I explained.

He nodded. "I'll be heading to the hotel but I'll be back later. I have a surprise for you."

I nodded and grabbed my purse.

"It was nice meeting you," my dad said to Yazz."

"The pleasure is all mine sir," he gushed.

I rolled my eyes and laughed to myself.

"Oh give this to Leah for her birthday." he said handing me three crisp hundred dollar bills. I nodded and slid them in my purse.

He left out and Yazz stood in utter disbelief. "Your pops - is Nas?" he asked, more than stated.