Chapter 1

Tonight was the night. I was finally a legal adult, and Uncle Simon could no longer dictate what I did or didn't do. He could no longer tell me when to be home, where to hang out, or who to hang out with. It was completely my choice. I was finally eighteen.

I stood wrapped in my towel, staring into my overflowing closet. I searched through the multiple racks of dresses until I found the perfect dress for tonight. I pulled out the white dress that was body hugging and revealed a lot of leg. Perfect fit for America's rebel, right? I quickly dropped my towel and stepped into the dress. After looking myself over in the mirror over a dozen times I went back into the closet to decide on a pair of shoe. I instantly spotted my bright red, sparkling pumps. They would compliment the dress perfectly, and now, the last thing I had to do was hair and make-up. I returned to the bathroom and whipped the steam from the mirror. I looked at myself in the reflection. Without make-up I looked like the old Rachel Paxton; young and enlightening, with big, dark blue eyes shining and fizzy auburn hair. I hated seeing the old me. It was just a reminde of my troubled past and haunted memories. I pulled out my straightener and began to work on my frazzled mop of hair, straightening it to perfection. I sprayed my hair with a light layer of sparkles and applied thick, black eyeliner that made my eyes pop. I added a bit of blush to finish off the look. I smiled at the new Rachel in the mirror and finally grabbed my purse before heading to Neon, the club that had been rented out for my party, over an hour late.

Once I arrived, all of my friends flocked to me. I spotted my best friend, Zoey, immediately. She waved me over to a table that was in the far back only to be highlighted by the many lights and balloons attached to it. I laughed to myself and waved back at her. I began my walk to the table, only to be pushed from behind by a guy with extremely curly hair. "Sorry," he said, in a British accent, before returning to his group of friends. I brushed the encounter off and continued towards Zoey. She had been so excited for tonight that she practically planned it all herself. I had no idea who half of the people here are. Mostly the younger Hollywood A-Listers and other friends of ours.

"Hey! Happy birthday!" Zoey screamed over the blaring music and loudness of the crowded club. "Do you think Davie would get us some drinks?" I rolled my eyes. I loved Zoey to death, but she had been obsessing over my co-star, Dave Franco, ever since I introduced her to him over a month ago. He was an actor, and she was a regular California girl. In his mind that would never work, but in her mind it was meant to happen. He was twenty-six, and she was nineteen. She was head over heels for him, and he had no idea. There were way too many flaws in their non-existent relationship. I still wished that somehow she would get her fairytale ending, no matter what the situation may be.

"We can try," I offered. "Where is he?" Zoey turned her head from side to side, looking for him. Finally, she squinted her eyes and pointed towards the bar. There Dave was, carrying three drinks over towards us. "Looks like we don't even have to ask him to get us drinks." I smiled when he placed the glass of tequila in front of me.

"Happy birthday, Rach," he said. He leaned down and placed a small kiss on my cheek, and I could see Zoey boiling over in frustation. I downed the glass of liquor as Zoey began to ramble to Dave.

"So, Dave, how are you liking the party?" she asked him in her sweetest tone.

"It's nice. Now that the birthday girl is here," Dave responded as he put his arm around me. Zoey's eyes immediately grew sad, and I was quick to wiggle out of the booth and out from under his arm.

"I'm gonna go find some loser to buy me some more booze," I explained as I left my friends alone. I weaved my way through the crowd and inched closer to the bar. Once out of the crowd I spotted the bartened. He seemed to be in his early twenties, so I decided on a different approach for obtaining more tequila.