sixteen

"We're going to see my cousin?" Normani asked.

"Normani," Ally said, "I think Dinah is investigating Alessia's murder."

The brunette looked at her girlfriend. "Really?" she asked.

Just as Dinah was about to answer she heard ambulance sirens blaring down the street. "I've got to go," she said.

"Can I come with you?" Normani asked.

"Mani, you can't–"

"She's my cousin."

"Come to a–"

"Dinah, please."

"Crime scene."

"Dinah," Normani pleaded.

"Stay in the car. I'll take you to the police department in a few minutes, okay?" the Tongan kissed her girlfriend's forehead and walked out of the house.

The brunette followed after her. "Dinah!"

Dinah turned around. "I will be right back. Stay in the car," she turned and walked over to the paramedics.

Normani watched them take her cousin out of the house and put her in the back of the truck.

"Oh, my God," she shook her head as she began tearing up.

A few moments later Dinah walked over to her. "I'm going to drop you off at the police department. I have to ask your neighbors some questions, and I'll be back to get you. Okay?"

"Can't you do that tomorrow?" Normani asked, a tear falling down her cheek.

"I can't," the taller girl shook her head and wiped the brunette's tears. "I'm sorry, baby."

The younger girl walked to Dinah's car and got in. Dinah got in as well and put her keys into the ignition. Normani placed her head in her hands and sighed.

"What a great way to start off our relationship," she said.

The older sighed. "I'm saying."

-

"Where is Kehlani?" Dinah asked Melanie and she and Normani walked in.

"She's questioning someone. Why is Normani Powers with you?" Melanie asked.

"Why is she–that's my business. Follow me, Normani," Dinah lead her girlfriend into the questioning room and opened the door.

"Detective, I told you to find her. Not to question her."

Kehlani looked at her. "She is a suspect, Detective."

"She's not," Normani pushed passed Dinah.

"Normani?" Solána said.

"Why is she here?" Kehlani asked.

"A word, Kehlani," the blonde said. "Outside, please."

The older girl stood, walking out of the room and Dinah shut the door before turning to her.

"You may be my partner, Kehlani, but I'm still your boss–"

"She is a suspect. Did you expect me not to take her in for questioning?"

"She's not a suspect. And you do not take her into questioning if I did not ask you to. You don't get special treatment just because you are my partner–"

"I never said that–"

"And you will stop cutting me off while I am speaking. I don't like to be disrespected. Do it again and I'll fire you."

Kehlani rolled her eyes and leaned against the wall behind her. "Why is Normani Powers here?"

"Solána Rowe is her cousin. I brought her here so she can see her."

"Why were you with her?"

"Is that any of your business?"

The brunette sighed and looked at the wall behind her boss. "Do you need me to do something?"

"I'm going to escort Solána and Normani away from this building and you're going to follow me back to that neighborhood. You're going to question all of the people on that street. Ask them if they saw anybody enter that house that wasn't Alessia–"

"I'm sorry for cutting you off, but who is Alessia?"

"The victim," Dinah said.

"And how did you figure that out?" Kehlani narrowed her eyes.

"She's Normani's cousin."

"Are you and Normani together?"

"Is that any of your business? I need you to do what I asked you to do and stop butting into my personal life, okay?" the Polynesian turned around and opened the door. "Solána, Normani."

The two girls looked at her. "Yeah?" Solána asked.

"Let's go."

"I thought you had to–" Dinah gave her girlfriend a look that meant: "don't say another word while we're in this building."

Normani nodded. "Okay," she said. "Let's go."

The two girls got up and Dinah turned to Kehlani. "I expect details from you about questioning the neighbors by tomorrow. Goodnight, Kehlani," he said as the two girls walked up beside her.

"Goodnight, Detective," the brunette fake smiled.

The three girls left the building and Normani grabbed Dinah's arm.

"I thought you had to question the neighbors?" she asked.

"You're scared. You won't be able to sleep tonight. I'm staying with you," the Tongan said. "Solána, will you be riding with us?"

"Yeah," the older girl nodded.

"Okay," Dinah said before walking off to her car.

Solána looked at Normani and smiled. "She's cute," she said, "and from what I can see, she cares about you as much as Keith did. You made a good choice."

"I wouldn't even be with her if it wasn't for Camila," Normani said.

"Well, I guess you'll have to thank her for that later. Won't you?" her cousin lifted an eyebrow.

The younger brunette smiled and nodded. "Definitely."

"You two walk really slow," Dinah said from her car.

The two girls chuckled and jogged to the Samoan's car. Dinah smiled and kissed the top of Normani's head.

"We'll both have to thank Camila later," she said.

"How did you–"

"I can read lips," the taller girl winked.

The younger girl rolled her eyes and smiled. "Of course you can."

-

A/N: listening to music helps me get chapters done so much faster.