0.1

Alec

Finding a place to stay in a small town was pretty hard, but I had managed to find a small apartment and bought a motorcycle. It had only been a few days and I was already bored out of my mind. Back at the institute there was always something to keep me busy. For the first time in a long time I had the opportunity to let my self think. I hated it. Thinking about anything would somehow lead back to the fact that my mother and father had practically disowned me after I left. After all, there's no such thing as a rouge shadowhunter.

I decide to take a walk and grab my jacket and stele. It was the middle of the night but I couldn't stay trapped in tiny apartment any longer. It was windy and cold but I barely took notice to it, my mind still reeling. I needed to calm down. I begin to run, without a speed or endurance rune. I want to feel the pain of loosing my breath, my heart beating in my chest. I run for maybe 15 minutes before I hear a small whimper and come to an immediate stop. I look all around me searching for where the sound came from. There's a boy curled against a tree holding his side tightly and groaning in pain.

I approach him cautiously with my hands out.

"Are you okay?"

He brings his head up and his ocean blue eyes meet mine and I fall to my knees in front of him. Tears stream down his cheeks and they slowly start to close. I feel my heart stop, and restart to beat in time with his. My mind is reeling with the overwhelming feeling to protect him and keep him out of harms way. Suddenly he's my life line.

"I'll take care of you." I whisper and lean down to pick him up. He is tall, maybe as tall as me, but he was thin and frail. I begin to walk back to my apartment my mind no longer on anything other than this boy in my arms.

When he looked at me, I felt like and electric shock flooded through my body and rewired everything about me to revolve around him. I wouldn't let anyone hurt him ever again.

By the time I got to the apartment he had lost consciousness and was now leaning against my chest. I laid him down softly onto my bed and went to go get a cold wash cloth. I lifted his shirt to see what had been hurting him so badly. There was what looked like deep bite marks on his side.

Werewolf.

Slowly I clean around the bite mark trying not to irritate it more than necessary. I grab some gauze and wrap it around the wound and he begins to stir. Finishing as fast as I can, I pull his shirt back over his thin torso before his eyes lazily open. He looks around the room slowly, his eyes landing on me. I expected him to be startled but he just stares at me until his eyes start to close again.

I sigh and pull the blanket over him, tucking him in. Closing the door behind me I quietly make my way into the living room and slump down onto the couch. What the hell was wrong with me? Why do I always go for downworlders?

>>>

"Who are you!" Someone screams waking me from my horrible sleep. Startled I jump to my feet and turn to where the noise came from. I see the boy from before standing there shaking holding a kitchen knife.

"My name is Alec." I say as soothingly as I can. The curly haired boy stares at me in shock, the knife falling out of his shaking hands.

"How did I get here? Why am I here? Where is here?" He begins rambling off questions. I step around the couch slowly coming closer to him and gently put my arm on his forearm.

"I found you, you were hurt so I took you here so you wouldn't die. This is my apartment, we're in Beacon Hills." I say softly. He looks down at his arm curiously and watches my thumb run back and forth across it.

"Thank you for not letting me die. Ive never seen you before." He says pulling his arm out of my grasp.

"I'm new, from New York. Needed a change. We should take a look at your torso. You should be healed by now but I don't want to risk you getting an infection or something." His eyes go wide and he pulls his arm out of my grasp wrapping it around himself.

"No. I'm sure it's fine." He takes a few steps back and keeps his eyes on the floor.

"I already saw. I know what you are, you still haven't told me your name though." He looks up and me shocked before slowly lifting up his shirt to show me the bite mark.

"My name is Lahey, Isaac Lahey."

"Looks like you're turning Lahey." I say lifting up the bandage around his bite mark.

"Are you like me?" he asks, he voice concerned.

"Im not like you, Im different. I know a lot about your kind, I know a lot about a lot of other kinds of things." He nods slowly and drifts of into thought. His eyes snap up and he catches a glimpse of the clock on my nightstand in the bedroom behind me.

"Shit I have practice in 20 minutes." He begins looking around the apartment for something to get himself ready with.

"There's an unopened toothbrush in the bathroom and deodorant behind the mirror. I can give you a ride wherever you need to go." I say and point to the bathroom. I head to the kitchen, grabbing a coffee and leaning against the counter and finally allowing myself to think for the first time since last night.

Why would I be helping this kid? Why did I feel like I owed him my life? Why did I want to devote my life to him without even knowing anything about him. What were all these feelings?

"Is this your family." His voice startles me out of my thoughts and look over to see him holding a picture of me, Izzy, Max, and my mother.

"Some of them are. Is that my hoodie?" I ask examining the black hoodie he's now wearing.

"I uh... I was cold. Your closet was open." He fidgets with his fingers anxiously. I nod slightly and begin to lead him out of the apartment without another word.

"There's no way in hell I'm getting on that." He says coming to a halt as I swing my leg over my motorcycle.

"Its just a bike. With a little more horsepower." I say and hold out my helmet to him. He looks skeptical but slowly reaches out for the helmet.

"I saved your life last night, why would I do that just to let you die today?" He shrugs agreeing with me and carefully sits behind me.

"I seem to have the ability to heal magically so I probably would've been fine."

"You don't know a lot about being a werewolf do you?" I grab his hands and secure them around my waist. He shrugs in agreement to me then the engine comes to life and we take off. His hands tighten around me immediately and I feel him press his head against my back.

I head to the school, following his directions. When I come to a stop in front of the field where a bunch of teenagers are playing lacrosse Isaac finally looks up.

"Thank you." He says gently and gets off handing the helmet back.

"Do you want me to wait, are you sure it's a good idea to be going to practice right now given your situation?" I call as he begins to walk away.

"I'll be fine and anyways I have class. Im done at 3:30." He says, slowly walking backwards in the direction of the field.

"Bye Isaac." I smile and rev the engine of my bike.

"Pick me up at 3:30 Alec. Tell me all about my situation." He says confidently and takes off into a jog toward the field. I can't help the smile that takes over my face at his attitude.

My phone buzzes gently in my pocket and I answer it quickly without looking to see who it was.

"Alexander, Im here."