14. ANTI "SSO" Powder

Revenge is a funny thing. Once it occurred, it had a tendency to stick. That’s what was happening in Anika’s case. Ever since Shivaay Singh Oberoi had snubbed her sincere apology, revenge was all she had on her mind. It was all she could think of, day and night, even during her work shifts at the hospital.

She didn’t want to hurry and end up making blunders like the last two times. So she took her time, plotting carefully. Inch by inch. Of a perfect prank that wouldn’t backfire at any cost.

A week passed and she lay in wait, for the perfect opportunity. During these days, apart from plotting secretly in her mind, she also ignored the devil himself. They were never in the same place for long. There was no exchange of smiles or even glances. They both pretended that the other didn’t exist. If any of the other family members found it odd, they never showed it.

Finally the moment she had been waiting for arrived. It was a normal morning breakfast and the Oberoi’s were as usual rushing about. Anika sat quietly beside Dadi enjoying her  aloo puri; a dish she became fondly addicted to ever since she came to India; everyone dashed to their respective works and soon it was just Anika and Dadi.

Just as Anika was finishing up her coffee, Shivaay strutted in. Sliding in his chair, he picked up his paper as usual. Anika kept her eyes strictly on her coffee mug as she sipped. A few seconds ticked by and Shivaay suddenly cleared his throat.

“ Dadi?” he said. Dadi looked up smiling at him “ Haan putaar”. He cleared his throat again and Anika felt it was somehow directed to her.

“ I wanted to talk to you about something” he continued. Dadi nodded encouragingly.

“ personally” he coughed again. This time she knew it was for her.

Smirking softly she remained seated stubbornly, and sipped the last few sips of her coffee, taking her own sweet time. If it was something personal, then it must be something important. And if it was something important then it was just the thing she needed to destroy.

He waited a few seconds but seeing that she wasn’t going to leave, “ Dadi there is an important meeting that am going to have tomorrow afternoon” he said giving up. “Am going to have it here in the mansion and I would like you to make the lunch arrangements.”

“Sure Billu” Dadi agreed happily. Anika almost choked on her coffee “ billu!!????” she asked mortified at what Dadi just called him. Shivay hissed and Dadi chuckled “ yes that’s what we call Shivay.”

“ I see”  Anika said, trying very hard not to burst into fits of laughter. She could feel his eyes boring into her, but she didn’t bother to look up.

“ Anyway!” he said standing up abruptly and cutting off the nickname conversation. “This is an important meeting Dadi and I can’t afford any mistakes” he said, shoving his hands into his pockets.

“ don’t worry billu!!  I will see to it personally that everything is perfect” Dadi assured him.

Giving a curt nod he walked away. A few seconds later Dadi excused herself politely. Anika though, remained seated, her mind already churning with a plan.

The day passed, in a blur. And soon the morning dawned. Anika was up and about, before the sun had even properly rose. The towel she prepared was folded neatly and clutched to her chest as she scurried across the giant living room. Making sure she was not seen she quietly slipped into the small store room under the staircase.

By the time every one had arrived down for breakfast, Anika was smiling hysterically and bouncing in her seat, excitedly waiting for her plan to work. Her shift at the hospital, was in the evening. It was perfect as she could stay home and watch the drama unfold.

Soon everyone departed, including Dadi; who had to meet up with some of her friends. Anika shoved down her breakfast and hurried to sit on the couch, flipping through a magazine randomly. Her mind was buzzing and she could hardly contain the energy. Her foot tapped furiously as she waited. A few servants around her were hurriedly preparing for the Shivaay’s meeting.

Just as she looked up Anika saw Tanveer walking across, with a frown on her face. “ Tanveer!” she called out and the friendly maid's face lifted into a small smile as she made her way to Anika.

“ what’s wrong, why the long face” Anika asked.

“ nothing mame Saab” she said bowing her head respectfully.

Anika rolled her eyes “ yeah right Tanveer! Stop the overacting and just tell me what’s wrong” she said.

Tanveer's eyes widened in surprise “ nothing…. It’s just that am confused” she replied, her earlier frown returning.

“ About what?”

She held up a bottle of powder “This is a medicine we use to keep the insects away, and I usually keep it on a shelf, in the store room, but today I found it spilled over. I was wondering how that could happen.”

Anika’s smile faded “ did you say the store room?”

“ Yes right next to white wash” Tanveer said.

Anika felt faint “ show me” she said pulling Tanveer towards the store room.

“ There” Tanveer pointed upon reaching. And sure enough, right next to the white wash can a small heap of powder was scattered messily around.

Anika’s blood ran cold. It was the same place she had stood a few hours ago applying the white wash generously to the towel. She wanted to switch the towel with Shivaay’s regular face towel, so that in the morning before the meeting he would wipe his face with Anika’s towel instead and find his bloody face in a white sticky mess.

It was supposed to be clean act, just to piss him off, but she must have by mistakenly knocked the bottle of anti insects powder and there were fair chances that it might have spilled on her white washed towel, which was now sitting on Shivaay’s room.
She gasped and whipped around, ready to dash into his room, when an agonizing roar, nothing less than of a wounded animal, thundered in the mansion.

Hello guyz,
How have you been? Hope, you doing well same like us.
We are so happy for all the love you are giving us.
We are here with a new chapter along with a good news.
As we told you, we participated in an OS competition and guess what!! We got the first prize this time. 😁😁
They took our interview and We experienced for the first time how it feels being an interviewee. We are right now on the top of the world.

Please keep voting and give us all the love as always.
Share your views with us. Like anything, if you want to suggest us or something you want from our story, we don't mind taking your opinions.

Thank you everyone who voted and made us win ❤

Yours
Trushnamallipudi