40. Fire on the dance floor

Breathe. Anika. For what felt like the nth time this night, Anika reminded herself to breath.

She stood atop of the giant staircase, her arm looped in his. Her eyes flickered restlessly,  watching the view below, it had only been a few hours since they had been dining here. And now somehow the hotel had been completely transformed, from a normal five star dinning hall into a majestic, royal ballroom.

The huge glass roof was stripped away, barring the starry night. The full moon acting like a natural disco ball to the event.

A collection of violinists and harp players and pianists, were placed at the far end, and soft music floated around them.

The long spiral staircase that lead down to the floor was sprinkled with fairy lights which added a surplus amount of color to the parade of footsteps.

All around them, couples arrived in dozens, each dressed in expensive suits, and fancy dresses.

She looked down at her own simple saree, and pursed her lips. Maybe she should’ve just gone with something else.

They started down, and she kept her eyes strictly on her feet. She didn’t want to go sprawling down the stairs tripping over her own saree.

Especially a saree which was tied by Shivaay Singh Oberio.

Flush rippled on her cheeks as flashes of images raced in her mind. She bit her lip, channeling her focus to her surroundings, anything to keep her mind going back to the previous events.

She stayed close to him, unconsciously tightening her hold. He guided her gently and they weaved their way through crowds of champagne bearing waiters, and lively chirping women.

Heads turned, and curious eyes watched them both as they took their seats in a far end corner. The second they sat, Anika pressed a glass of water to her lips and drank thirstily, while Shivaay eyed the crowd carefully.

“ so what do we do now?” she asked, once she was done.

Shivaay threw her a blank look “ who’s we? I am going to do something….while you just…” he gave her a once over, disapproval glinting in his eyes “ you have the simplest job Mrs. Leela Malhotra” She chocked on her water “ stay. Out of trouble. Can you do that?”

She glared at him and he looked away, “ see that couple there?” he spoke suddenly, his voice dipping down several vocals. Anika sat up straight, her eyes sharp.

She followed his line of gaze and saw a middle aged man, well dressed with a half naked teenage girl. She frowned. Was that even legal?

“ That’s our target, he is our buyer”
He looked at her confused face and sighed “ he is the guy who is going to buy our smuggled goods”

“Ahhhhhhh” Anika nodded, enthusiastically “ and knowing this, is helpful because……..” she dragged the last word.

“ cause” he said solemnly “ he is going to pick up those smuggled goods later tonight. He knows the place and time. Now all I have to do is get that out of him and we are going to steal those goods from right under his nose”

Anika snorted, her snort coming out louder than she wanted it to had both her and Shivaay bewildered.

He threw her a shrewd look “ that’s your plan?”

He ran a brisk hand through his hair, and for a second Anika was caught by how smooth he made it look…well…it almost looked….sexy.

The second the thought passed, she lunged and grabbed her glass, gulping it down in one go, trying to wash away that absurd thought.

He stared at her, “ get your retarded acts together, and watch how it’s done” he stood up giving his tux a small tug.

And then, just like that Shivaay Singh Oberio did the unspoken. A strange light set into his features, his jaw loosened and his lips twitched upwards.

Anika ogled at him. Did he just?.....smile?!!

Her eyes widened, as he sauntered, weaving easily through the crowd.
She shuffled uneasily, as Shivaay approached the target's table.

Instead of walking up to the man he twisted and smiled down at the teenager.

Anika watched as the girl looked startled for a second before her thin red tainted lips spread wide as he leaned down to whisper something in her ear.

A metallic wave rushed at her, leaving a bitter trail. She looked away, anger suddenly spiking her veins. Her brows knitted together.

What was she so mad about?  Her eyes fell on them again, and this time she saw the middle aged man engrossed in a deep conversation with a few people, while, his girlfriend was slapping her hand into Shivaay’s awaiting one, leading him towards the dance floor.

Something snapped inside her. She stood up, and reached out and grabbed a glass off a waiter’s tray.
Two could play this game.

She didn’t bother about what it was before she dipped her head back. Bottoms up.

The liquid trickled down her throat, leaving a burning sensation in it’s wake. Her fingers skimmed through her hair and she flipped it back, letting some loose strands frame her face.

Straightening, she began walking to the table. Her hips swayed naturally and people parted to give her way.

It felt as if she had swallowed a fire ball, that was rattled inside her, fighting to get free. She felt nothing. No fear. Nor hesitation. Just fire.

So she didn’t think twice before she grabbed the middle aged man’s arm, hoisted him out of his chair and lead him to the dance floor.