22. Girls Missing

Priyanka clutched her bag tighter, as she stopped before the police station. Her eyes darted nervously around, taking in the dark jail’s, some which were gloomily empty, while some contained with scary men. She shivered slightly.

Being in the media, it was common to pay visits to the courts and police stations. But it was Priyanka’s first time, taking up a storyline. She had never been out in the field work and now, suddenly facing the reality seemed, a bit nerve wrecking. She felt something soft touch her elbow, and she looked up. Arjun stood beside her, staring ahead solemnly. She sighed, a little bravery seeping in. Straightening up, she walked in.

They walked right up to a scrawny looking constable, sitting behind a desk. He was flipping through a file seeming vaguely bored. Priyanka cleared her throat quietly, and he looked up, raising an eyebrow. She offered a small smile and the constable rolled his eyes looking away. Priyanka’s smile dimmed.

She fiddled with her bag, tensing on how to start a conversation, when,  "Excuse me we are from CNN newspaper, could you please show us the case file of Rithika Iyer?”  Arjun stepped forward, his voice loud and bold. She looked at him startled. But he seemed completely at ease.

The constable looked up slowly raising his brows at Arjun's authoritive tone. "Abhi nai!” he answered gruffly waving them away  "Javo javo, baad mein aana"

“I don’t think so” Arjun said firmly and took the seat in front of him. Priyanka followed hurriedly.

The constable narrowed his eyes “Aise nai dethe kisi ko. Woh sab... Use kya bolthe hain... Wooo... Can-fi-den-cial!” Priyanka pursed her lips confidential, she corrected mentally.

Arjun gave a loud disbelieving snort  "Arey Bhaisaab! Kyu bade bade shabd bol rahe hain? Kitne se hoga kaam?  Aapko Jitna chahiye utna leeziye  fatafat aur kaam khatam” he said pulling out his wallet.

A greedy gleam lot up the constable's face. Before he could speak, a couple stumbled on to his table. Arjun and Priyanka got up offering them their seats.

The couple ignored the chairs and looked mournfully at the constable.  "Saab! Hamari beti mili?”

The constable let out a frustrated groan “Areyyy yaaar!!!Abhi tak nai mili. Javo!”

“Saab!! Ek hafte se gayab hai hamari bacchi aur app keh rahe ki baad mein aana?” The mother sobbed, clutching her worn out pallu to her wet eyes.

Priyanka winced looking at the sad couple. She inched closer to Arjun, who seemed to be listening intently.
The constable shook his head “O behen ji! Hazaron cases aathe hai har roj aur kya apki beti koi raani toh nai ki hum sab usko doondne mei lage rahe? Meine pehle bhi bola aapki chokri ko kisi ki saath chakkar hai. Woh khud aajayegi. Ghar javo!!"

“Nai!” the father cried, breaking down “Meri beti aisi nai hai!"

“Ufff!!” the constable grumbled, arrogantly “Accha teek hai!! Waha jao, aaj ek file aaya missing cases ki, uss mein tumhari beti ki naam aur pata likh do. Agar kuch pata chala toh bulayenge"  the couple bowed before him and hurried to the next table.

"Kya hua uske beti ko?” Arjun asked as the couple walked past them.

The constable looked bored "Jamana badal gaya hai baisaab!! Ladkiyan pyar-vyar ke chakkar mei padthe hai aur premi ke sath baagh jaate hai. Ghar ki log pagalon ki tarah doon dthe rehte hai” he drawled  “ Aur yahan jo 'Ramlaal chawl' hai, wahan se roj roj ek aise naya case paida hoti hai."

Before the constable could say anything further, a group of rowdy looking, people gushed into the station, complaining loudly. The constable turned to them and Arjun grasped Priyanka and pulled her away.