17.Ten steps closer

The rain drenched gravel, beneath their feet crunched noisily as Priyanka and Arjun made their way out of their office. Priyanka trailed behind quietly, her mind swirling around Rithika Iyer.

“So what were you saying?” Arjun asked suddenly, pulling her into reality. She looked up, realizing that they had come to an abrupt stop.

"What was I saying?”

He sighed “Back in the office, you were saying something right? What was it?”

“Oh that” she looked away, a blush creeping into her cheeks. She tried pushing away the thought that he had been noticing her. An involuntary smile tugged at the corner of her lips  "nothing. What do you think of Rithika? You think it’s an abusive boyfriend?”

He shrugged and continued to walk  "I don’t know. We haven’t really talked to her or anything right? So I am just keeping my opinions open. What about you?”

“I definitely don’t think it’s just an abusive boyfriend." She stated her mind clicking into work mode  “I mean there is more to it. Forget her bruise did you see her face? She didn’t look like she was trying to protect some love track, or that she was trying to run away” she paused her rambling, suddenly feeling unsure. “ I..I don’t know but something tells me it’s not JUST some boyfriend.”

“ You got ALL that, just from her face!?” Arjun started at her, beliwered. She shrugged “What did you get?”

He snorted “Well, if not for that non trendy scarf, I could’ve at least got a glimpse if she was hot or not”

Priyanka gapped at him “ she is our story!” he laughed looking at her expression “ before she is anybody’s story, she is a girl. And girls are a subject of interest to me” he chuckled as her face morphed into horror.

“ Don’t you like hot guys?” he asked. Blushing a deep red she shook her head vigorously. He clicked his tongue “No wonder you haven’t flirted with me yet!”

Pursing her lips Priyanka stepped up her tempo, walking at top speed to get away from his hideous jokes. She heard him laughing as he jogged up behind her.

As they entered the parking lot she stopped in front of an old white car. Arjun let out a low whistle “ WOW! they really do spend a lot on us don’t they?” he said sarcastically.

Running a finger over the car he shook his head, disappointed at the dust his finger got off with. Priyanka trudged to the driver’s side and started stuffing her bag in. She looked up when Arjun cleared his throat loudly.

“ What?” she asked.

“ You are going to drive?”

“ yeah who else will?

“Ever considered me?” he cocked a perfect eyebrow up.

A chuckle bubbled out of her “ you? You will drive?  Sorry Mr. Arjun but you don’t really strike me a person who drives cars. Do you even own a legal four wheeler license?”

“Hey! What’s that supposed to mean. You think I can’t handle a car?” he fake frowned, pretending to be hurt.

“No I didn’t mean it like that” she hurried to make him feel better “ I just meant that you looked good on bike”

A small smile lit up his face. He leaned on the car, tilting his head to a side. The sun rays bounced on his hair, catching streaks of brown in them. “ so you think I look good eh?”

She stared at him her words dying in her throat. He really did look good on his killer bike, that looked like it followed only his orders.

His smile grew broader, triumph on catching her speechless. She blinked and blushed, rapidly, looking away.  "Just get in the car" she grumbled, fumbling with the handle and yanking it open.