50.No more leaving you

The cold water lapped her face soothingly, and Anika sighed. Her body felt feather light, as if she were floating. Water bumped against her ears numbing her to everything but the clogging rush of the waves. 

“Why isn’t she waking up yet?” someone murmured, irritation evident in their tone.

Anika frowned. That voice…. Why did it sound so familiar? She moved, trying to pry her eyes open. The more she moved the more the water seemed to slide away from her, leaving her withering in a bone crushing pain.

But she had to find out who that voice belonged to. For some reason she had a feeling it was important to remember.

She tried again and with another monumental effort she heaved. Slowly her eyelids began to lift. She blinked trying to keep them from sealing shut again. She glared at a thin light coming from a crack in a door.

She shifted and hissed, grimacing at a needle pierced into her arm. She reached to it delicately, and with a swift movement pulled it out.

She sighed her head falling back, that felt better. Another murmur flitted across her and she slowly slipped her legs over the bed.

The cold floor tingled her bare feet, She took a small step forward, before a searing shot of pain rang up her body. She gasped managing to barely hold herself upright. Letting out a ragged breath, she took another small step.

After several stops she finally made it to the door and pushed it open. The two men who were sitting suddenly snapped up to look at her.

Her eyes never made it to the second man, they were frozen still on the dark haired man, whose electric blue eyes stared back at her.

Her lips were already moving “Shivaay” and as if his name were a switch, everything came rushing back to her. She swayed.

Shivaay and the other man were out of their seats. Shivaay reached her first, his arm extended as if he were going to pull her to him, but stopped short letting the other man steady her.

“ you need rest sayidati (madam)”  the man with a thick Arabic accent spoke.

He gently placed a hand on her arm, but Anika shook him off weakly, her eyes trained on Shivaay. Why wasn’t he looking at her? Why wouldn’t he come to her first? Wasn’t he happy she was awake?

“sayidati” the man tried again. Shivaay looked up then “you need to get back in bed” he told her in a flat tone. She opened her mouth to say something when he brushed past her into the room.

“what happened?” she rasped, leaning against the door frame for support.

The man sighed, giving up on making her go back to bed “you were shot, in your back” he wringed his hands nervously.

Anika’s eyes widened “I was shot?” she croaked.

The man nodded, she reached up behind her back, and sure enough her fingers traced the outline of a thick bandage, covering almost half of her lower back. “how long was I out for?”

“ three days sayidati...it was…err....really critical…if sayidi almuhtarm (sir)” he nodded towards Shivaay “ he.. rushed you to our hospital, demanding that you be operated on…right away” she almost smiled. That sounded like something he would do.

“but sayidati…” he continued softly “ you two.. so much blood” he tried to explain in his broken English. Shaking his head as if it were a nightmare “we never thought you would.. live”

“but he…” he nodded again at Shivaay “he was dead set..that you would make it and had all the doctors in the hospital work on you”

She swallowed, her throat suddenly tight. A image of trembling hands, and a broken sob flashed behind her eyes, she looked back at Shivaay, his back turned to her.