III

Once we made sure the man was out of sight, Corrin didn't waste time in grabbing my hand again and pulling me up away from the cart we had been hiding behind.

We were running now; down the empty street where the Dry Lander had come from. It made me wonder how he go into our city in the first place. There were elven soldiers guarding the entrance to our kingdom 24/7 as well as patrolling the outskirts of the kingdom and along the perimeter of the wall. It was well protected to ensure something like this would never happen.

Somehow the man managed to slip past the soldiers unnoticed. Whether that be based on pure luck that the outsider had managed to enter Versai without being detected or had it planned from the start. Knowing the exact time the soldiers patrolled the wall and entrance. Making sure to know the exact time in which an opening would commence. This was the sort of planning that would take months of watching and waiting.

Or maybe, they attacked the soldiers. Maybe going as far as to even kill them.

The thought gave me shivers.

Corrin quickly stopped in our tracks pulling me behind the edge of a household. Holding me close as he snuck a peak at another outsider that was quickly coming down the way we were heading; sword in hand as he looked frantically around.

Corrin gripped my forearm as the man passed by us. Not noticing us hiding in the dark not so much as two metres away from him. It was only when the man had turned a corner that I allowed myself to let out a sigh. Corrin's body relaxed too from its tense stand, letting go of my forearm.

"You'll have to make a run for the gates when I tell you-" Corrin states softly making my eyes widen. He points down the roadway to where a small lamp is visible over a set of jet black gates. I frown up at him.

"You're not coming?"

"I can't. I have to get back home to my family. I need to make sure they're ok." Corrin replied, his lips pressed in a thin line as worry for his family grew on his features. His little sister Ava being his main concern after some screams from around the housing areas.

There was not only one outsider. It seemed that there was more. A lot more. We were being attacked in the middle of the night for reasons I didn't know.

When Corrin and I saw one of the outsiders dragging some elves out of their houses before burning it to the ground. We both knew that we needed to start running to get to safety and fast. We knew it wouldn't take long before everyone was waking up to the realisation that we were under attack. It was important to use the time to get home as fast as we can before people begin to litter the streets in chaos and pandemonium.

As much as I knew that Corrin couldn't come back to the safety of the kingdom and had to go to find his family; I didn't want him to leave. The feeling of something bad happening if we were to seperate kept playing in my mind and I was worried. Worried for him if something terrible were to happen or if Gods forbid, he was to have a run in with an outsider.

"Obsecro, es securus."

'Please, be safe' I whisper out as I quickly rise on my toes to embrace him.

When I pull back, he smiles down at me but it's a sad smile. The type of smile that he gives me when he's afraid. He can't promise me anything. This could be our last time to see each other as far as I know.

"Et vos."

'And you' he replies softly before he is pushing me forward. Whisper-yelling at me in Latin to run.

"Curre Keylin, curre!"

I run as fast as my feet can carry my injured body. Running down the dark street in front of me without looking back. My heart beating erratically in my chest. Blood coursing through my veins as I force myself to run faster.