XXIV

"You wished to see me sir?"

I asked curiously, slowly making my way inside the large tent that belonged to my father. The one where I had been in before with everyone during the meeting the first day I met him. That was the day he had mentioned I would be staying with Bow and Ana before stating that he would be leaving. This was just like that time but I kept my lips in a firm line.

My father turned around, his soft eyes landing on mine that I knew this look was only for me. I felt as though he was not a soft man in any ways. He was the leader of the camp. The leader of the Dry Landers. This man didn't have time to be soft when it came to business.

This made me slightly concerned if all of this was some sort of mask, a front he was putting on just for me but I shook the thought out of my head.

I was his son.

I was the only thing left for him to remind him of my mother that he loved with all of his heart. He broke the rules for her and he almost threw his life away to bring me here, knowing it was against the rules to cross sectors.

"Keylin." He breathed out in relief before raising his eyebrow, a small smirk making its way onto his lips.

"I thought I was going to have to leave you without saying goodbye."

"I'm sorry." I breathed out tiredly, scratching the back of my head as I looked down. "Baja insisted I feed her before she let me wonder freely."

My father chuckled, shaking his head at me fondly. It was then that I noticed he had something in his hands. My eyes looked down at them curiously.

"That panther has you on a leash. She does know that you are the one in control right?" Father questioned fondly and I blushed, fiddling with my hands nervously as I let the small smile come onto my lips.

"Until I am old enough to defend myself, she calls the shots apparently. I am only a child in her eyes and need to fill into my boots."

"I do not think you are a child." My father stated softly. "You are young but I see where she is coming from. With time you will grow to be a warrior Keylin, the best Dry Lander. You are my son afterall, I have no doubt you will take after me."

He looked down at his clasped hands before looking back up at me. A sad smile gracing his lips as he motions for me to come over to him with his head.

"Come here Keylin, I have a gift for you."

I furrowed my brows at this but walked over nonetheless. My eyes looking up at him curiously and I was about to speak when he is bringing what felt to be a necklace around my neck. Tying a knot in the thread that hung the small object.

I looked down, taking the object in my hand gently.

It was a silver half of a wing. The wing had very precise detail with small swirls and engraved patterns that made my heart thump in my chest. I recognised these patterns. This necklace was made by the craft elves.

I looked up at my father wide eyed and confused. He had been watching my reaction the whole time, trying to hide his pain as he smiles down at me. His hands resting on my shoulders. I gulped at the sudden realisation, my lips twitching as I spoke.

"My mother gave this to you, didn't she?"

"Yes." He smiled at what I thought was a happy memory. "She bared her half as I did mine."

He brings his hand up to run through my blonde hair and he smiles as he touches it, running it through his hands slowly.

"You remind me so much of her Keylin. Everyday you get more and more like her. She would be proud of you. I know I am."