XXIX

When I awoke the next morning it was to the feeling of someone untying the rope around my wrists.

I blinked awake, my face scrunching up in slight pain from a pressing headache and the burn marks the rope had inflicted on my skin.

With a swipe of the knife, Raen untied me and the rope fell at my feet. Baja nowhere in sight.

I rub at my sore red hands as Raen silently cuts the rope from around my middle securing me to the tree. When he is finished he tucks the small knife away in his pocket while I bring a hand around my middle. It was itchy and I knew that rope marks would be littered across my skin.

Raen kneeled down in front of me. Taking my face in his hands as he narrowed his eyes to inspect me. I could feel there was a tinge of rosiness to my pale complexion along with my red nose. I blinked tiredly in his warm hands. My eyes too heavy to look at him.

How early was it?

Raen let my head rest back against the bark and I complied, almost falling back to sleep when I felt him pulling me forward again. My face scrunching up in slight pain at the movement but it was distinguished when a warm fleece was being pulled over me.

It was the warmest and softest thing I had ever felt. I couldn't help but let my head fall forward slightly into his shoulder as the warmth went up to my neck and ear.

Raen sighed from above me as his hands massaged my back. Pulling me into his now bare chest. Was this his fleece?

"I didn't want to leave you out here." His voice rumbled and I blinked up at him. My eyes squinting at the brightness. They were starting to sting.

Raen's hand came up to the back of my head and ran his fingers through my hair.

"I fought with myself last night. I lost count of how many times I had to restrain myself from coming out here and bringing you to safety."

"I'm sorry." I mumbled into his chest and I can hear him chuckle. The vibrations warm.

"It is me who is sorry. I'm sorry for what I did. It was cruel and not fair to you. Yoy shouldn't be sorry Key."

A yawn escapes me as Raen is hoisting me up into his arms and I bring my hands up around his neck, letting my head rest on his shoulders but not quite falling back to sleep.

We pass a sleeping Corrin. His elven features prominent in the early morning dew. He looked at peace, as if he wasn't in the middle of being prisoner to the Dry Lands.

I wanted him to be ok. I only hoped he would be fine as Raen carries me the distance to his tent. Too drained and cold to function properly and make sense. When I closed my eyes to reopen them where I am being placed on a fur coated bed, I knew I had passed out and it felt as though sleep was going to take me under once again.

Raen places a hand to my forehead and hums lightly.

"You are poorly." Raen concluded, his thumb caressing my cheek. "I have seen you like this before."

"I'm cold." I breathe out, noticing there was a rasp to my voice. Raen noticed too and frowned down at me.

"Sleep Keylin-" Raen states softly as he takes his hand from my cheek to bring the fur blankets up around me.

"I need to speak with Lucien."

Lucien. I haven't seen him in so long, I wonder where he was...was he still alive? Going by Raen going to talk with him surely says so, but why?

Raen places his hand on my forehead and I furrow my brows at this, not opening my eyes.

"Sūn krasiva."