Ch 9 - Way to keep her

Richard's POV

When I saw her opening the door in library and Steven behind it, I felt anger bubbling inside me but I played it as if I didn't care. Steven lifted his hands and said "Look we didn't do anything like how you are assuming. I respect her" and then he left the library.

I know I should not be affected because of this but it is the way it has been. Every woman I brought in my life liked Steven instantly and had slept with him. The whole night I could not sleep, thoughts of Evelyn falling for Steven and betraying me swirled in my mind. I know I am not the best of the husband and if any husband treats his wife like how I did mine. She had every right to do but I wanted her to prove me wrong. I woke up and then refreshed myself and did my breakfast so I could focus on my work. But still my mind would wander towards her. I canceled my plan to go to the office and went to my library to do my work and as I was trying hard to do so I heard a soft knock on the door and thinking it was some maid bringing in some refreshment I answered "Come in". I was waiting for the person to go when I heard a soft voice speak "Mr. Evans, I need to talk to you".

Only then I lift my head to see her before me, her eyes had dark circles around them though she had made an effort to be presentable I could see something did happen between them and then I asked "Evelyn what is it?"

When she didn't say anything I understood that she might say something along the lines of it was a mistake or that she loves my brother. I could not bear it again to hear that he again was the priority in the eyes of the woman I have in my life. So I said "Evelyn if it is about yesterday night about you spending time with Steven in the library then I am not interested".

"Mr. Evans it's not about me and Steven. It is about us" She said nervously.

"What about it Evelyn as there is no us?" I said in a stern tone. Because I knew I never gave her the place of my wife and never shown any affection.

"I.. I want a divorce Mr. Evans" she said looking at the floor. This caught me off guard because if she had said something along the lines of that it was a mistake then it would have matched what I was anticipating from the woman who was caught by me with my brother but asking for divorce was unexpected and somewhere it pinched my heart that woman who was married to a millionaire like me wanted to leave me for my brother. It irritated me and hence composing myself I said "Evelyn you know what I am not here to listen to your childish tantrums if you have something really worth to bring to my notice then please do else leave".

I wanted her to leave so I can enjoy this loneliness which is the only faithful thing I have but then she said "Mr. Evans if you think me asking for a divorce is not important to you then I think I will consult a lawyer on that. I was thinking of checking with you before I do that".

For a moment I thought I heard wrong but then I realized she was serious about divorce so Immediately I snapped my laptop shut and went towards me all the while looking at her, controlling my anger. Angry that she wanted to divorce me because of him but little does she know he will just use her like others and then she will be ruined so I said "Evelyn you are not going to do that".

"Mr. Evans I am going to do that because I don't want to stay married to you" She said now looking in his eyes.

I was shocked with the determination and I laughed at the hopelessness and helplessness of the situation and then said "Evelyn if you think after divorcing me you can live happily with my brother then you are wrong. The moment you divorce me your property and assets will be moved in my name and you will be on streets begging for alms.

"Property and assets" she fake smiled as if mocking me said "Mr. Evans you are mistaken I do not own any property or assets and you do not need to tell me that I will be on streets because I have been there and survived".