Ch 25 -- She chose someone else

I was in my reverie when I heard knocks and after sometime footsteps echoed and soon the person was behind me as if the person was trying not to disturb the peaceful haven of my thoughts. He stood there watching me for a while. I smiled and turned to see him. The very man I wanted to see.

Richards POV

Since the day Evelyn was missing. Her parents have come to stay with us. It was sad that every morning her mother asked me about her daughter I would answer the same that still no clue. I could see my mother at times getting irritated because of this, few a times I heard both Mrs. Riley Franoik and my mother arguing. My mother felt that it was Evelyn's fault that she left home without telling anyone and not taking our driver. The one time Mom crossed her limits were when she implied Evelyn must have run with her boyfriend and that was the last straw and me for the first time raised my voice at her.

I knew why she left, I hurt her so bad. I was killing myself each day and spent my time in my study. I could not bring myself to face anyone and tell them that I have no clue where my wife is. Suddenly I heard a knock and a maid entered and I said "I told you not to disturb me?".

"Sir I know but there is a visitor who wants to meet you and it's urgent" She said.

"I told you if someone comes with the details about my wife, other than that I don't want to see anyone" I said irritatingly.

"Sir, he says it's about Madam" She said and as soon as I heard that I rushed out of the study and found that there was a lawyer waiting for me.

"Mr. I was told you know about my wife" I asked him directly without following any pleasantries.

"Sir, I am Mr. Lobster and I am here on behalf of your wife. She has sent you the divorce notice and I would like your sign on this " He said offering me the bunch of papers.

I took the documents and threw them and held his collars. "You tell me where she is. I want to talk to her personally".

"Sir, please leave my collars otherwise I can sue you for manhandling" Mr. Lobster said. I signed the receipt of the notice and he left.

I sat down when I took the file in my hand saw that my wife has sent me a legal divorce notice. I didn't know what to do. I can't afford to lose her after so much has happened. I made up my mind to meet her. I called Mr. Lobster from the card he offered me once I had signed the receipt of notice and asked him to arrange a meeting with my wife.

Steve's POV

I was walking down when I saw Richards losing control and grabbing the collars of the lawyer. I was surprised my calm and collected brother behaving emotional but when I heard their talk I came to know that my love has filed divorce against him. It brought a smile on my lips that finally she will be free and I can pursue her openly.

I rushed after the lawyer and followed him and saw him entering his office. I waited outside his office and then after 2 hours again he went to a mansion. I was about to leave when I read "Ivan Carlos" on the nameplate near the gate.

I got suspicious and parked a few meters away from the mansion and after waiting for an hour I saw the lawyer leaving. I was thinking whether I should follow him or wait when I saw a limited edition Bugatti Veyron with a man and a woman inside with my binoculars.

 I was thinking whether I should follow him or wait when I saw a limited edition Bugatti Veyron with a man and a woman inside with my binoculars

I followed the car as per my instincts and reached Four Seasons Hotel. I saw the lady getting down from back with a man. I followed them and saw they were redirected to the VIP section. I made my way there only to be stopped by a waiter stating it was reserved section today. I dropped in some dollars and he let me pass. I was looking for them when I saw that Evelyn sitting with Ivan Carlos. She was happily talking to him.

I was about to barge in when I stopped myself seeing that both of them were seated next to Richards. I stealthily went and occupied two tables away from them and tried to hear their convo.

"Mr. Evans you requested to meet me in person so here I am" Evelyn said in a quite tone.

"Evelyn look.." Richard was saying when Evelyn stopped and said "it's Miss Franoik to you".

Richard hit his fist on the table and said "Miss Franoik.... Evelyn, you are Mrs. Evans as you are not divorced yet".

I expected Evelyn or Mr. Carlos to reply in the same temper but their cool and collected disposition confused me.

"Mr. Evans she has already signed the papers and all we are waiting for is for you to do the same" Mr. Carlos said.

"Evelyn I know things didn't go well with us but I don't think it's right to involve an outsider in this matter" Richard said clenching his jaws.

"Outsider?? Mr. Evans, he is my boyfriend. I have every intention of marrying him once our divorce is settled" Evelyn said sweetly and her words along with Richards pained me. I didn't expect her to utter these words.

I saw Richards trying hard to compose himself and then said "Look, Evelyn... I think you are acting in anger. I would like you to think rationally before you act".

"Mr. Evans I am not angry or upset actually I am happy" she said while taking Mr. Carlos hand in her and continued "In fact, I am thankful to you for this".

"Evelyn I am not going to divorce you" Richards said.

"And why is that Mr. Evans? Well I was hoping to do a respectful thing but when people will see your wife living with another man or going on dates with another man I think that is going to affect your reputation" Evelyn said while throwing a file towards Richards and said "Please Mr. Evans sign it and free both of us from this unwanted relationship".

Richards got up and left without any word. 

"Well seems like things didn't go as planned Eve" Mr. Carlos said in a disappointed tone.

"I think he will come around Ivan. Let's go home" She said and got up and left with Mr. Carlos. I followed them and they entered the Mansion. I made my way home and entered our bar where I saw Richards already seated and drinking. 

"Woahaa... I didn't expect to see my brother here" I said sarcastically.

"Steve please... leave me alone" He said.

"Now that we know I can't do" I said smirking and snatched the bottle from which Richards was pouring his glass and gulped the contents and emptied it. He took another from the bar and I repeated. Seems like Richards patience ran out and he said "Steven give back my bottle".

"Well big bro it's empty are you sure you want it" I said winking.

As soon as I kept the bottle on the table I was punched on my jaw.

"You think this is a joke Steven. I warned you" He said and punched my nose this time. I too hit his jaw after recovering making him lose his balance as well.

"Go brother and take out your anger on someone else because Steven has learned not to take shit from anyone, not even you" I said smiling.

He smiled a bitter one and said "Good to know my brother has grown up" and was about to leave but stopped because of my words. 

"Brother I always got your women but your wife I wanted her but she rejected me and I thought she won't be like all the others but in the end even she left you" I said smiling.

He turned and looked at me and said "Guess at last my baby brother got what he wanted. I hope that made you happy brother" and left.

As he left I don't know for some reason I didn't felt happy as I thought I would. Was it because she chose someone else and not me.