Ch 26 - The New Dawn

"Brother I always got your women but your wife I wanted her but she rejected me and I thought she won't be like all the others but in the end, even she left you" I said smiling.

He turned and looked at me and said "Guess at last my baby brother got what he wanted. I hope that made you happy brother" and left.

As he left I don't know for some reason I didn't felt happy as I thought I would. Was it because she chose someone else and not me.

Evelyn's POV

"No I don't want to eat the soup" Richard said when nurse was trying to feed him.

"Please sir you have to eat or else you won't be able to take your medicines " Nurse said.

"No I will have the soup only if my wife feeds me" He said.

The nurse looked at me and gesturing me for help. I scoffed at his childishness and took the soup bowl from her. Immediately a childlike smile adorned his features when I lifted the soup filled spoon near his mouth and he looked at me and opened his mouth allowing me to feed him.

"Wow there's magic in your hands, now this soup tastes wonderful" He said smiling. I raised my brow at that and the nurse there laughed saying "Mam you are lucky to have him".

I glared at her words and she got the message and moved out after saying "I will get his medicines while you feed him". As soon as she left I kept the soup on the overbed table and said "feed yourself Mr. Evans".

He looked at me and pouted "Love but I want you to feed me".

"Mr. Evans you are not a kid anymore" I said annoyed.

"I know that but I am a patient right now and baby please don't call me Mr. Evans, call me Richards. I don't like you referring to me like a stranger" He said.

"You are a stranger for me Mr. Evans" I wanted to say but then I recalled Doctor saying that he is not in a state to take any emotional pressures. I didn't want to hurt him intentionally, but I was not fine with acting like a happy wife when I knew we were so close to getting a divorce, so close to my freedom until he got himself in an accident due to his carelessness. Who in their right mind drives while drunk? Maybe I can tell him now that we were not a normal couple like he believes and maybe then he will leave me alone.

I composed myself and tried to make him understand when I was cut off by the Nurse barging in.  "Look Mr. Evans we..." 

"Don't you have the sense to knock before you enter" Richard scolded her.

The nurse was embarrassed and said "Sorry sir... Mam".

"Look you don't have to be sorry" I said smiling at her and turned to Richards and said "Probably you should be the one to apologize as she is doing her duty".

Richards looked at me and then smiled and said "As you wish Precious". He looked at the Nurse and said "I am sorry,  sister. Hope you understand that I am on this stupid hospital bed when all I want is to be out of here and spend time with my wife".

I was shocked because after accident Richards seemed altogether like a different person. He behaved as if we were in love before his accident. I was not able to tolerate this behavior. I got up from my seat when he grabbed my hand said "My Precious where are you going?".

I tried to pull my hand from him but he didn't let go so I used all my strength and his upper body fell off the bed and he moaned in pain and Nurse shouted "oh sir.. how did it happen?"

"Madam please help" She said to me and I held him and settle him on his bed.

"Sir take your medicines" she said and Richards refused and looked at me. The nurse held the medicines to me and so having no other option, I put the tablet in his mouth and fed him water to gulp it down. Once he was done then Nurse pushed his bed down and said "Sir you should rest now. Madam, you can leave for the day".