Ch 24 - Melancholy of Life

"Let me say it again so you can believe it, Riley... Evelyn is not my daughter... I never considered her as one because she is a girl you adopted and I never saw her as my daughter " He said. "Don't look at me like that even you are not her mother.... her real mother is dead".

The world around me shook after hearing that I rushed out and ran outside. I didn't know what to do ... Suddenly I had no one... no one...

"Evelyn...." I heard mom gasp. I ran like a mad person without caring where I was going. Suddenly a car stopped and someone came out "Evelyn.." was the last thing I heard. Through my blurred vision, I knew it was a man and being in his arms made me feel safe, safe enough to hug darkness.

Ivan's POV

I had kept my men watching her as she left the party with Richards. I was worried he will hurt her as soon as they left. I knew she reached home. It was relief that he didn't do anything but when I was told that brute dragged her inside the mansion I wanted to rush but I controlled myself. I didn't want to barge in her life until I feel she really needed me.

I didn't know when I dozed off thinking of her safety. I got a call that she is driving alone somewhere in the morning. I asked my men to follow her and it was quite early and to ensure she is safe I made my driver take the way she was driving to. My men informed me that she was heading towards her parent's home. I would have relaxed but still, something in my heart that something bad is going to happen to her. I asked the driver to keep driving nearby until she stays here. I wanted to ensure she was safe and whatever I was feeling was just a false notion.

We were roaming when I got a call from one of the men that she is running wildly without any sense of direction. I asked the driver to rush and by the time I reached her she was running in the middle of moving traffic and was almost ran over by my car. I dashed out of the car calling her name when she started to faint. I gathered her in my arms before she could fall and lifted her bridal style and placed her in my car. I commanded my driver to take us to my mansion.

I called the doctor who gave her an injection to become conscious. I was anxiously waiting for her to wake up. After 4 hours her eyes opened, I sighed in relief but then she tried getting up from bed finding herself in an unfamiliar setting.

I went near her and held her arms to keep her still and She looked at me and was surprised. I sat near her and said "Evelyn.. you are safe. You need rest and don't worry I am here".

She stared at me for a while with her glistening eyes and soon a trail of tears rolled out of her eyes. I wiped her tears but then it seemed like she lost control of her emotions and she was hysterically sobbing. Seeing her state was made my heart clench. It pained me that someone hurt this wonderful woman and I don't even know who.

I pulled her to me trying to calm her down "Shh... don't cry, please don't cry. Tell me who hurt you Cara... "

 "I ... I am alone in this world" she said weeping. It shocked me when she uttered those words but I kept caressing her back comforting her. When she was done crying I asked her what happened.

"My mother... she is not my mother.... my family is not mine... I am adopted". She said crying. "My mother...mother... she was the only... only one who... who loved me...My father...my father... he never considered me as his daughter... because.. I am adopted...he didn't love... love me... because I am not his daughter... he used to... punish me... he hated me... I... tried to... do everything... anything he told me... still I was not... not good enough... Ivan...Today I... came to know...My... real parents... they are dead why? why?...no one loves me" she again sobbed. 

I cupped her face and told her "Cara...look at me you are not alone. You have me. Do you think I don't love you?"  She looked at me and I said "Cara... I love you as a friend... It doesn't matter to me whether you are orphan or not. You are my friend and I love you".