Ch 37 - Are you really Dead?

Richard's POV

While a coffin was being laid on the ground and people around were mute. Most of them didn't care whatever happened and whoever died but for me it was like losing a part of my life. Never in my imagination I thought this is how we will part ways. I thought once we will have Evelyn back everything will be back to normal. But now it's impossible, I can no longer do it. I have accepted my fate now, I am doomed a lonely life. The few moments that we had will be the only things I will have for rest of my life.

Ivan put a hand on my shoulder to comfort me but it did nothing. I didn't know how to deal with it and even though there were tears in my eyes I knew even he was not untouched by this feeling of loss. He didn't cry but his red eyes and his disruptive state shows he has also lost someone. 

As soon as the ceremony was done, people began leaving the place, for them it was just another person that died  for me it was like my breathe stopped. I fell on my knees on the grave and acid from my eyes fell on the grave wetting it.

"How could you do this to me? Why didn't you wait?" I yelled crying now. I don't know how long I laid crying there because when I felt Ivan pulling me and dragging me to the car. I didn't realize when we reached my room where he helped me lay in the bed.

Ivan's POV

 I made sure my brother was comfortable and walked out of his room and sat on the chair when a glass of water was placed in front of me. I looked up and saw Kendall in distraught state, she smiled at me to comfort me but I knew the emotions that were running her eyes. Her eyes told me she was feeling pain and loss. I wanted to do something to comfort her but I know it's beyond my control.

"How's he now?" she whispered.

"He is coping but I would suggest you stay away from him Kendall. He is not in right state of mind. I don't want him to say something he would regret in present state of mind" I told her.

"You don't have to say it once more Ivan I understand. Actually I wanted to tell you that I am leaving" She said.

"Let me drop you home" I said and was about to get up when she interrupted "Ivan I am not talking about going home I am actually moving out of state to have a fresh start" She said.

I composed myself and said "Kendall you are not thinking straight as of now. Let me drop you home and we will talk about it tomorrow".

"Ivan.. there is nothing to talk about, actually even if this didn't happened I always had a plan to move out from here" she said and walked towards the door to leave. 

Seeing her walk away like this made me think that even though I have lost the person who was my life but I cannot let Kendall leave. If she leaves Richards will always be in dark there would be no one to bring him out of the darkness he is falling. She is the light who can help him.

I caught her wrist to stop but seems like I didn't judge my force due to my excitement and she became imbalanced and her face landed on my chest. 

She stared at me in shock and I said "Don't leave him when he needs you the most".

"Let me go Ivan... I don't want to be here" She yelled when I heard a clapping sound.

"Wow didn't know you were this desperate Kendall" Richards strode towards us.

"Rich shut up" I said

"Oh now you have even turned my brother against me" Richards said

I could not control now and threw a punch on Richards's jaw which made him stumble but he didn't raise his hands on me but uttered the most nasty words "You whore how much damage you will do to my family. Leave... and never show me your face".

Kendall looked at him with glazed eyes and then turned and left. I was about to follow her when Richards said "If you follow her now Ivan I promise you will no longer be my brother".

I turned and faced him and said "You will regret this Richards".

As I shut my bedroom door, the events of that day passed by.

That day when we went to the Nichola's home and didn't find clues, I was beyond frustrated. I left in fury. At that time an intense rage consumed me, I wanted to kill whoever was infront of me. I was lost in my own world unaware that Richards was still following me.  He blew horn for some time while I didn't acknowledge and if he would have continued to pester me I would have unleashed my fury on him. Suddenly Richards left me alone turning around as if he was in rush. I felt relieved but then suddenly a thought that he got info or clue about Evelyn because that's the only reason that can make him rush like that.

As I was contemplating on following him, I got the intel that the girl who helped with divorce was seen somewhere near a patrol pump and one of my man saw him going in the forest in an isolated area. I called my personal driver and as soon as I reached the place I had my men surround the area and observe for unusual activities for few days. Initially it seemed like a casual trip for her but soon we found that there was a big mansion covered with grass and creepers in the midst of the forest.

I sent someone to spy but seems like it was next to impossible without alerting the enemy. It was frustrating to know that she might be out somewhere while I could not do something unless I have a plan for the unknown enemy. While we were discussing on the plans to barge in the place, Richards somehow reached here. At first I was bit surprised but knowing the Evan's influence it was hardly a surprise. I deliberately made him wait outside when he barged in fully enraged to know what was I doing.

While I prepared myself to keep Richards out of it incase the person involved was from Mafia. I know Richards does have some dealings with Mafia but he doesn't what goes inside. Suddenly a man barged in and said that the entire mansion is in fire. I immediately sped to the location with my men and found that the entire area was in big flames of fire. As soon as I signaled, my men got the firefighting equipment to stop the fire. All the while we tried stopping the fire so that we can get to know who was inside or better find Evelyn. It was almost evening by the time the fire was controlled and while all was dark and foggy I noticed a car fleeing from the location. Finding it suspicious I followed the car and it seemed like the person inside sped up more.

As I was about to take over I got a glance of her side face. I sped in my car after them and after going crisscross for a while, I felt soon the race would come to end but unfortunately, I saw the accident with my own eyes, I saw her and the person driving her away fall in the the deep valley. I was stunned for a long time and only came to my senses when Richards also made it to the place.

He looked at me and asked "Did you see her?"

When I nodded Richards went into a stupor. I didn't have time to comfort him so I used my entire force to find her. I consoled myself that I will find her injured but I was not prepared to see her dead body when my men informed me of two corpses mauled by the animals, I fell down on my knees realizing that I again lost my princess second time and this time there was no more chances.

I was still trying to process the situation when I saw Richards approaching and when he saw her tattered clothes, he shook his head and said "No this is not real. It's a nightmare when I will wake up she will be alive".

Looking at Richards at this time I felt as if he had lost his senses. I shook him to wake up but he didn't agree. I caught his face in my palms and said "She is dead Richards. She left us".

Richards didn't agree and pushed me and said "This... This is all your plan to keep her to yourself right? You think I don't understand" Suddenly he pulled my collar and said "Tell me Ivan where is she?"

I looked at Richards who was not comprehending the reality so the only way to pull him out of this state was to let him sleep and so I had to hid his temple to make him unconscious and get him back.

Days passed in mourning for her loss and after 5 days a funeral was held in her honor. This was the hardest time for me, saying goodbye even before letting her know my feelings, but still deep inside somewhere I felt that she was alive. I turned and looked at her photo in my bedroom and asked "Are you really Dead?"