Ch 17 - Games of Heart -- Friendship & Hope

"Well you thought wrong" I said smiling this time and seems like he was still in shock because even when the song come to an end he stood so I whispered "Better luck next time".

I moved away from him and since the excitement I felt from the night so far was so overwhelming I went to have a drink.

As I was having the fruit punch I felt a presence next to me and when I turned I saw Richard looking at me worriedly and then he asked "Evelyn... where were you? I have been searching for you when I came back to our table I didn't find you. I was worried".

I didn't want to lie to him so I said "Richard.. Steven's here". When he heard that he dragged me out of the party and straight to our room.

Richard's POV

The day went great and I enjoyed so much with Evelyn and I reluctantly left for the hotel. When we reached our hotel I had my mind to have another night but this time I wanted it to be something like the night in the top roof of the hotel. I wanted her to have the view of the place from the top and after dinner, we would lay side by side star gazing.  Thoughts of spending time with her were exciting. Though somewhere in the back of mind I knew this will come to an end. But when we were informed that there is a dinner party hosted by the hotel due to the hotel anniversary. I hold on on my plans for the next day.

I know that in the past, I have never taken Evelyn as my date, so an idea that I would publicly escort my wife in the party. This way people will know we will are having a good relationship and when if needed I will use this as an excuse to avoid the bad reputation when this pretense is over.

I went near her and knelt down and asked her "So Mrs. Evans what do you say, would you honor me by being my date tonight".

I could see her getting surprised and then hesitation when she looked at me but when she agreed I could feel that I don't need to pretend with her I am my own person with her. I wanted to give her as many happy moments because I know we will end soon but now the thoughts of moving away from her were causing unknown feelings inside me. 

She left for her room and I immediately called the receptionist and asked her to arrange the black dress for my wife and a tux for me. And since I was the premium customer they arranged it like in a half hour.  

I knocked on her door and held a package for her and left to get ready. Well, I have to look handsome for my wife. I got ready and was waiting for her eagerly and when she finally made presence I must say she left me stunned. She looked beautiful in the black dress which hugged her curves and the natural look she had made her look more exotic.

I didn't know what to say and when I didn't utter any words she looked uncomfortable and fearing I would say the wrong thing, I kept mum and escorted her to the party area where we sat at the designated table. I was feeling excited about the night and was about to sit next to her when I heard a familiar voice calling "Richard... is it you?"

I stiffened at that I could not believe of all the places I will see Kendall here. She was out of the country and I missed to inform her about my hasty wedding and I even missed to sent out an invitation. I am doomed if she comes to know of it.

Kendall is my childhood friend and she is very protective of me but at the same time she is the one person who when gets angry makes sure that the receiving party suffers immensely and right now was not the time to get in her bad books. We said our pleasantries when she looked at Evelyn beside me and asked while smiling at me"Oh who is this lovely lady in black".

"Oh she is Evelyn and Evelyn she is Kendall" I said.

"Hi Evelyn it's nice to meet you" She said smiling. Then she turned to me and asked "But Richard I want to know who is she to you".