VI

I run my hands through the fabric of my Uchikake kimono, it was red and gold in color, made by my mother's own hands. It's such a shame that she didn't see me on it, she spent a year making it and the kimono looks glamorous.

I almost winced in pain when the other servant tugged at my hair, they were pinning my hair above my head in a most complex way.

"Umm... can you pin my hair in a simplest way possible?"

The two servants didn't stop working on my hair and instead look at my reflection on the mirror.

"You should look sophisticated and beautiful on your wedding night, milady. So that Lord Ryuu's attention will be all into you"

The older servant said while the younger one who's assisting her didn't say anything and continued on my hair.

"I just don't want his lordship to have a hard time uncoiling my hair"

I reasoned, although that's not entirely my true reason, my scalp hurts from all the tugging.

"Oh"

The older servant grabbed the younger one's wrist, stopping her from her work.

"Kita, untie Lady Natsume's hair, just simply pin her hair above her head"

"Thank you...? Ugh... What's your name?"

"It's Risa, milady"

I look at the younger one

"and you must be Kita?"

They both smiled, but confusion are dancing in their eyes. Nobles didn't usually ask for the servants names.

Their names are worthless to the nobles because they're just one of their hundreds of servants, not worth of remembering. Foolish, they are foolish to even think like that. 'Names' of the people that are in your territories are the ones that must be remembered, to identify the enemies that are trying to blend in and to know who's the betrayer or who will betray, that's why I'm asking their names and not because I'm trying to be the pretentious saint girl, kind and timid. Mother told me that girls like that are the first ones that people will take advantage of, you must not show your weakness to the other people, show your kindness if it's necessary to the people you know who deserves it but don't trust anyone easily.

"It's a pleasure to meet you"

Their expression turned into a full surprise, they bowed deeply to me.

"The pleasure is ours milady"

I smiled.

After putting the headpieces on my hair, I waved my hand to dismiss them.

I smoothen the front of my kimono with my hands for any wrinkles.

"Milady, you got out of the meeting hall quickly. I thought that it's going to take long"

I glanced at Ayano, who's a few feet away from me at my side.

"It was just a few minutes but it feels like hours"

I shivered, remembering his cold dark eyes that are staring back at me.

A moment later, another servant came knocking on the door.

"Lady Natsume"

She slowly slide the door and bowed.

"I'll escort you to Lord Ryuu"

The things that you want to stay are the things that goes away quickly in the blink of an eye.

I stared at the man who's giving the last speech before our wedding night as I clinched my trembling hands together. Please make your speech long. I closed my eyes and prayed to the spirits