LXI

"I didn't know your whore is this good at acting, might as well let her be an actress of some play"

Natsume once told him when they're at his study. The king's eunuch who handed the king another scroll frowned in displeasure, his hands also trembled.

Such a presumptuous word to address an imperial concubine, to think that she would also be crowned as their queen tomorrow. The crown is not for silly girls, she should be more mindful of her words.

He wants to reprimand her of her morals but how could he? Glancing back at this merciless king who only raised his head and lightly smiled at her. He could only swallow his reprimanding words and stomach in his displeasure.

Tonight, Yuan Kang invited her to his study hall instead of going to her courtyard. She didn't refused and even if she wants to, the servants faces all told her that she can't say 'No' to the king himself. Besides, it's better to meet him in the study hall than in her courtyard. People always got the wrong idea of them sleeping with each other. When in fact, she never let him sleep on the bed she's sleeping into. He always sleep at the other small bed, used by a maid to watch the consort closely if needed, like when she's sick or having nightmares.

Considering the fact that this palace she's staying in is also his, Natsume finds it quite fascinating to watch a king sleep in that small bed for a maid while she sleeps on her comfortable huge bed. This happened every time he visited her, they wouldn't say a word to each other.

If they did, they would just argue with each other and he will walked out in anger, like what happened in the fourth night in her courtyard. He just comes and go without laying a hand on her. So unlike him when they first met, he almost forced himself into her.

Of course, this facts are only known by the two of them. The people think that they sleep together in the same bed and have already done the deed many times.

Would Raiden kill her for this? Making him wear a green hat is more than a majestic mighty King could take. Would he throw her out if he believes that Yuan Kang and his wife slept together? Even if they didn't do it, it doesn't change the fact that they sleep in the same room.

It wasn't her fault in the first place, blame General Eiji Arata and the other imperial guards who didn't do their job well of looking after her, and didn't make an effort of rescuing her after firstly knowing in hand that she's kidnapped by the king of Xue.

Natsume really wanted to go home, she missed him and their child. Is Ichiro doing well without her? She badly wants to see Raiden and their son. This homesickness makes her depressed all the time.

Her eyes scanned the pile of papers and the bamboo scrolls on his table. It's all an important official documents that was recently send to him that needed the king's approvals. Doesn't he know how to be cautious with her? She wouldn't miss a chance to spy on an enemy for her kingdom. She would kill him without a second thought if she can escape here unharmed.

Leaning on the red cushioned seat that was only three steps away from the king, her eyes scanned the study hall again. There are so many shelves of bamboo scrolls and paper scrolls alike. The previous documents that were approved and disapproved are also here, the history of Xue and even the restricted documents that are only meant to be read by the reigning king are all in here, separated from the other shelves at end of the fourth column.

She stood up, leisurely walking to that shelf. The study hall has always been silent for the king's concentration while studying the documents, especially at night. Now that she's here, only her voice and her steps could be heard in the study. She stopped at the first shelf and randomly picked up a scroll, opening it to scan the contents with her own eyes.