Epilogue

An era have ended. Dawn came, bringing upon a new day and the beginning of a new era. At the end of the year and at the beginning of the new year, the three hundred years of war during the Warring States period have ended.

It is said that new year have to be welcomed with open arms, celebrate it with firecrackers and banquet. It is supposed to be an auspicious day. To eat and drink to your heart's content, a happy occasion yet at this time it was welcomed with the flood of blood and endless tears, a million of lives were sacrificed.

In the annals of Ryuu Empire, in the beginning year of 994 a new era was born. That day, the queen of Ryuu held the dead body of Yuan Kang. It is said that Natsume Ryuu didn't really escaped from the palace of Xue, his husband attacked the enemy state in rage. Natsume Ryuu killed the king of Xue with her own hands.

She didn't know how long did she sat there on the throne seat, Yuan Kang's head is resting on her shoulder with his arms loosely embracing her. Natsume was petrified. Her hand trembled when she raised it, combing the loose hair hanging from the side of his face. Something's clutching her heart, as if it will burst out at any moment.

The majestic doors of the King's hall was suddenly broken. Raiden Ryuu stood there, a sword dripping with blood, face and armors are also splashed with blood. Two people are sitting at the elevated throne seat while the other one is standing by the door like a death reaper.

Raiden stared at the crying face of his wife. How long did she cry? Her beautiful eyes are starting to get swollen. Their eyes met and in that instant, Raiden doesn't know what to do. He can't understand what he's feeling. The feeling of rage, jealousy, pity, worry and triumph are all mixed up. He doesn't know where to focused his feelings.

Although she's crying, a superficial smile graced her lips.

"Raiden..."

The soft calling of his name that Natsume rarely do startled him awake from his lingering thoughts and mixed up emotions.

"He... Yuta... He passed away. He's already dead"

Seeing her scared appearance with her bloodied hands, he was hit with worry and pity for her. Forgetting the rest of his emotions. With determined quick steps, he ascended to the stairs leading to the throne seat.

"Why cry?"

When he reached her, he tried to swipe away those bitter tears streaming on her cheeks only to dirty her face with the stain of blood in his hands. He stopped his movements, letting out a distressed sigh. Raiden kneeled in front of her, taking hold of her right hand that is tightly gripping on Yuan Kang's hand.

"You have to let go"

She looked at him, her eyes are filled with loss and misery.

"How can I let go?"

His patience is wearing out. After all, who wouldn't get angry at this state? Didn't she said that she loves him now? Is her feelings for him this shallow?

"Let go or I'll force you to"

Slowly, her gripped to Yuan Kang's hand loosened. Natsume put her arms around her husband, casting one last glance at the beautiful face sitting beside her on the throne. He looked so serene and unrealistic, like he would disappear in just a blink of an eye.

She buried her face on Raiden's chest, not minding the smell of blood sticking on him.

"Can you let him have an honorable burial?"

He tightened his hold on her, standing up while carrying her. There was no need to worry, this man is already dead, the Dark Cultists are also dead. No one can take her away from him now. It is just a small favor so he lightly nodded his head in consent.

In the year of 994, at the end of the Warring States period. Raiden Ryuu declared himself as an emperor. After ascending to the throne, he then crowned his wife, Natsume Takahiro as his empress.

There was a deep contrast in describing Raiden's morale by the later generation. It is said that he's a ruthless emperor who buried a thousand of scholars and officials who have challenge his authority. People who slandered the Royal bloodlines are beheaded without further questions, and people who have a say against the new implemented laws. In his reign, there's an absolute power of the emperor and he expects an absolute discipline and obedience from his people.

He's being hated over the fact that he take pleasure in killing his enemies even if they surrendered to him peacefully and for trying to commit a genocide during his invasion in the state of Xue. An undeniable fact also remained that he gave Yuan Kang a proper burial, even though they were sworn enemies during that time.

On the other hand, he was praised to be a benevolent emperor who concerned himself with the commoners problems, like poverty, drought and plague. The first one to suffer are likely the commoners.

Although he was criticized with his iron hold of things that concerned wars and his power as a monarch, it can't be denied that it's this kind of ruling that makes the Eastern region raise to power, improving the lives of many people. Aside from that, he was also criticized for being muddle-headed by a mere woman.

Natsume Ryuu, his wife cannot escape from the later generation's opinion of her. She was described as an ethereal beauty to have the affection of both opposing monarchs. She's also praised for her wise decisions during the time of her governance while her husband is away for war, but not all good things are said to her, she was said to be a vicious and greedy woman. A witch or an evil fox spirit that causes the downfall of the state of Xue and the kingdom of Hoc. Most of the people who are slandering her came from the fallen lands (conquered territories) so it is no wonder that their opinions to her are not good.

However, it seems that Raiden's wife made a bigger impression in history than him. People were more interested in her life. Although she's already dead a hundred years ago, her name was immortalized because of the previous events that involved her.

There were many first things that only happened to her through out the history. The first woman who raised to power was her, the first woman who was crowned not once or twice but thrice was also her (Ryuu, Xue, and the Empire). It is very rare for a man to have an only one wife, not only did she had Raiden Ryuu wrapped around her little finger, she also had Yuan Kang in her palm. These two foolish men thrived for her favor.

Yes! Finally I have finished this story. Anyway, I know you're not satisfied with this ending so I might add some bonus chapters where their children are included. As for Ichiro, I might make a story about him but that will take time (I haven't even posted the first chapter of 'manly lady' so...)

I still can't believe that I finished writing a story. For the first time in forever~ 🎶

P.S: Don't be surprised if I post a 'prologue' this part is late, I know. I just wanted to add a prologue at the beginning of the story to make it more interesting.