Chapter 10

Mira's POV.

Today is Ambar's custody case. We have submitted all the important documents to Akka. I fear to loose this case. It's not regarding my ego. It doesn't involves grudge against Arman but the thought of loosing Ambar. I know Ambar will have all the fortune if Arman wins but I can't trust Arman ever.Dev is quite ever since night. Arush and Ambar are sitting silently. Subbu is assisting Akka in case. We all leave for our court hearing by 10.00 a.m..

We reach the court before time to catch up with Akka. She arrives at court on time but it took Subbu a little longer to reach. We head in the court room where Arman is sitting with his lawyers. Some of them are people I recognize and there on left of Arman is sitting that bastard. Vinod Gill. Arman's divorce lawyer. His allegations can break any person from inside.

"Dev!" Srinidhi calls Dev.

"Yes. Srinidhi." Dev replied.

"Give me documents I have to check on them one last time." He gave the file to her and she starts to check the file. The fact is we adopted Ambar legally when she turned 2. Till then I had to make enough money to show the adoption agency we can provide enough to our family. Why do I have this strange feeling of anxiety? The judge enters the room and we all stand.

"Proceed." The judge said.

From prosecution side Vinod stands up. "Your honor nearly 16 years ago my clients ex-wife did not informed him that she was carrying his child and she died during childbirth. The child was taken away by Dev Mehra and his wife Dr. Mira Mehra. They left their home in Delhi and settled here with their son and my clients daughter." OK so the beginning was smooth and he behaved well.

"Does defense has something to say?"

"Yes your honor." Akka said. "Your honor we do not deny the truth. Ambar is indeed biological daughter to Arman Ranyal. But he himself is the reason of this situation. He accused the deceased Dr. Raina Bedi of adultery and divorced her. It was her decision to not tell him about the child because she wanted to keep her baby away from an ill-tempered man. I agree to the fact that a father has equal rights on child but a man who is reason of self isolation and stays suspicious is not capable to raise a growing 15 year old teenage girl." Akka did well. "My client has submitted his daughter's adoption paper."

The judge reads the papers carefully. We couldn't adopt Ambar immediately but we went through the procedures legally and carefully. This time Arman you won't get the chance to uproot my house.

"Your honor if it is about past then Dev Mehra's past should also be brought into the light. He was an alcoholic. A heavy drinker." Bastard finally came up to his point.

"He was an alcoholic. He was treated by none other than the late Dr. Raina Bedi and he never slipped into alcohol again. He is running a very famous restaurant and cafe in the city. He provides more then enough to his family. He is reformed."

"And my client has learned from his mistakes. He is just asking to take what rightfully belongs to him. Ambar is his rightful heir. She will get much more than she can ask for."

"I am sorry Mr. Gill but as you know we can get rid off of our habits but we can't get rid of our nature." Akka said boldly. God I never knew the drama is this high in courts. No wonder why Dev turned alcoholic. "Mi-lord Ambar is staying with Dev and Mira even before she was born. Mehra's are her family. Its not Ambar's age to come into a new family or accept somebody else's name. She is still a child. She does not belongs to Arman Ranayal he has no right to claim himself a father because he now thinks he is. A man who can't trust anyone can't be trusted either." I look at Arman he is sitting on the opposite side. His eyes are little red. That is anger. He is angry because he is loosing. The judge then decides to give his decision.

"Based on Mr. Arman Ranyal's past the court has decided that the custody of Ambar Mehra will stay with Dev Mehra and Dr. Mira Mehra until they are willing to give up their rights on the girl." Relief ran through my veins. Ambar is secure. I looked towards Dev but he does not seems very delighted nor is Akka. I looked back at Arush and Ambar, they both are holding each others hands and Ambar is crying. Subbu and Akka shake hands professionally. Subbu and Dev hugged each other. I looked at Arman he is still sitting on his seat. I turn to see my family again. Dev has wrapped Ambar in his arms. Finally Armaan's problem is solved.

Srinidhi's POV.

Mira and kids walk out of court room. I am so happy that we won the case but why it doesn't looks like a complete victory. The judge has screwed the case by putting a loop in it. Vinod comes towards Dev.

"So you are a good lawyer. It has been a long time since I lose." He said and smiled. "By the way I am happy Dev that you appeared in court all sobered up."

"Yes Vinod. I wanted to be wide awake so that I could watch Srinidhi butchering Arman's expectations." Dev said. I couldn't help but smile.

"Yeah, she really butchered my expectations and my lawyer's reputation." Arman said. He is now standing beside Vinod.

"Mr. Ranyal it would be nice if you stay away from us." I said.

"She is mine. Dev gave her name out of necessity but she has my blood. Dev has Arush and Mira he can live his life happily with them but he wants to keep my Ambar with him so that he can punish me. He does not love her." He said spitting the venom.

"Yes I gave her my name out of necessity because I had no choice. Either I could have given her then to Raina's father who always wanted to kill her at first very place or I could have abandoned her in an orphanage where she could had a miserable life. I didn't had heart to do either of them. We always live our life according to the choices we make Arman and I chose to love her and bring her up like my own." Dev said.

"Oh so soothing your words are Dev you are only saying this to justify your deeds. Your love is guilt ridden that's all .I won't give up this easily. I'll make you to give her up. I'll take her to her real home." He said. How much I want to kill him at this very moment.

I take a deep breath. "Do what ever you want and this time don't bring him to fight your case." I said pointing at Vinod. This means something. The real problem is yet to show up.

I took Dev with me. I never wanted Mira to marry him but yet they are together after so many problems. Mira and her kids left for their home early. Thank god she left before our confrontation with Arman or else she would have hit him so bad. I am driving with Dev. He is sitting silently. We won because he had all the necessary papers. The judge gave a just but tricky decision.

"What do you think he'll do?" I ask Dev softly.

"I don't know Srinidhi."

"Can he harm you in any way? I mean you know him." I ask him.

"When I knew him I never thought that he would accuse me of something like that, adultery and treachery. Now 16 years later he is a stranger to me. We can only guess a stranger's actions and stay alert that is all can be done." He said. His words sounds so disappointing.

"When is Sami's wedding date? Isn't the girl studying still." Dev said to change the topic. I understand my friend what through what problems you are going through.