Chapter Two

"We've decided it'd be better if she stay with you three for the time being." The sheriff says roughly four hours after arriving. "It's in her best interest right now. You can take her across state lines but not country. Bring her back down here April 27th for court. Until then, have a good rest of your night."

Sebastian squeezes my shoulder. I say nothing, just turn around and hug him. He returns it, and I sob onto his chest. "It's okay, you're with us now, you can't be hurt."

"Thank you,"

"Yeah, of course. Now, c'mon, let's go." 

I run to Emerson as soon as I see him and his open arms. He holds me tight against his chest, lifting my feet off the ground. My shitty sneakers touch the ground once more, and then Emerson smiles down at me. "You ready?" I nod, and climb into the back of their van. 

I end up sat next to Remington in the back with a bunch of miscellaneous clothes and shoes. In front of us is Samuel and Dan, and then Sebastian is driving with Emerson next to him. "Get some rest," Remington says, rubbing my shoulder. "It's okay now," He grabs a spare blanket and pillow from next to Dan and hands them to me. I thank him, get comfortable, and then shut my eyes. Remington's voice is the last thing I hear before falling asleep. "Goodnight, Lottie,"

When I wake up, I'm in Remington's arms and he's walking across a parking lot. He shifts, still holding me tightly to him. "Tell them we're sorry. We can't take her to Canada," 

"We'll reschedule," Sebastian says as he holds the door open. "We'll play the shows once we get everything sorted out with her." Remington starts walking up stairs, to a destination I don't know. "She's the only thing that matters right now. Keeping her safe,"

The conversation is cut off by a ringing phone, which causes me to flinch and Remington to almost stumble. Emerson immediately jumps, pulling me out of his arms and placing me on the floor. "Morning, sleepy head!" He says, ruffling my hair. "We've made it to Pennsylvania. C'mon, we'll find somewhere for you to hang out," 

He leads me along through wherever we are. It looks like another venue. Emerson eventually finds me an old couch to sit on, and as soon as he leaves me to get stuff set  up I get a text message. 

Caden: Where are you?

Me: I'm in Pennsylvania. I'm with people I'm safe.

Caden: I trust you. Keep me posted please.

Me: I will. Please tell everyone not to worry. The police know what happened.

Emerson walks back in, sitting down next to me. I immediately move toward him, and he puts an arm around my shoulder. "How are you doing?"

"The one cut on my back really hurts," I whimper. He rubs my shoulder.

"I'll get you some pain meds and change your dressings when I can. I need to talk to you about tonight," I nod, putting my head on his shoulder. "We're in Pittsburgh if you don't know. We have a show tonight, so what's probably gonna happen is you're gonna have to stay back here for the set. I don't feel safe with you being out in the pit. I'm sorry, just with your state I don't like that idea. We should have someone out back here to sit with you. After the show when we have our meet and greet, you can come with us and just sit on the stage or at the bar or something. Then we head for Ohio,"

"I'm sorry," I sigh. 

"Why? You haven't done anything,"

"I'm making it difficult,"

"No, no, don't say that. It's okay," I nod, looking to the ground. "You want to go out for lunch?" My eyes light up, and I nod, smiling. "Alright, let's go." He grabs a pair of keys, and leads me outside.

I sit at the bar, nursing a Sprite as the boys meet fan after fan after fan. It makes me smile, seeing them so happy. I didn't see Sebastian after the set as went straight to the merch table. But Emerson and Remington came back, gave me some pain meds, changed my dressings, and gave me a bottle of water. 

People stared at me weird when I walked out with them. I didn't like it. It made me anxious, and as soon as Remington saw he pulled me closer. "Don't worry about them," He said. "You're alright," I nod, taking a deep breath. We pile in the van; Remington and I in the back, Dan and Emerson in front of us, and Samuel and Sebastian up front. As I cuddle into Remington, he tosses an arm around me and kisses the top of my head. My eyes focus on my scars, and he knocks my chin up. "None of that," He whispers. "You're safe now."