Chapter Thirty-One

***trigger warning***

I wake up under a fort of blankets and on top of masses of pillows. Or at least what I assume to be pillows. When I open my eyes, I see that it's actually Sebastian's chest. I'm half on top of him, though he's still asleep. I'm tempted to attempt to move off of him, but with how tightly his arm is locked around me I know I won't be able to without waking him. I grab the emergency Zofran pill from my back pocket and take it, forcing myself to swallow repeatedly until the taste is gone. 

Stephanie is asleep, her pillow propped up against Sebastian's legs. Remington is to the immediate left of me, curled into almost a complete ball with his injured arm lying carefully out in front of him. Emerson is upstairs with his girlfriend, Shy. Last night was the first time I met her, but she's super nice. We went out to dinner, just me, Shy, and Emerson. He seems to really love her, and I'm glad they make each other happy. 

I hear pounding footsteps rush into the kitchen. Emerson is screaming. "Everyone up!" He yells, pounding on the ground. Sebastian flinches up, his elbow knocking into my face. His rough, calloused hand cups the area of my cheek he hit. "Guys! Get up now!" Sebastian grabs Stephanie and I's hands. Stephanie pulls Remington to his feet and we stagger out of the fort. Emerson immediately pulls me onto his hip. "Sebastian! Lock the door! Everyone in the basement! Sebastian get down here as soon as you are done!" Emerson starts running and I clutch onto him tightly. Remington is moving too slow for my liking.

"Remmi!"

"I'm coming, baby!"

Emerson takes the stairs quickly. Christine is already in the basement. It's freezing in the cement-floored room. I start to shiver and my teeth begin to chatter. Emerson sets me down in the farthest corner in the room. "Stay here," He whispers, kissing my forehead. "I have to get some things." Stephanie crouches in front of me and opens her arms. I fling myself into her, holding onto her tight. 

"Hey, honey." She sighs, situating herself so we're both in a more comfortable position. "I just wanna tell you what's going on." I take a deep breath and nod. Stephanie takes a deep, uneven breath. I feel it against my body. "Up the road....there's a shooting," I feel my heart stop. My chest tightens and my head goes foggy. Stephanie tightens her hold on me...but it's not what I need.

"Boys," I barely gasp out. "Remmi...S-S-Seb," She nods, rubbing my back as she calls for them. Within seconds Sebastian is pulling me from her arms and the two of them are cuddling me in the corner. Sebastian has me in his lap, and Remington has his head on my shoulder and his hand rubbing circles in my back. Every so often his lips will land on my skin and he'll whisper comforting things to me. This is what I need. My boys. Emerson's with his girlfriend, and I feel bad seeing Stephanie all alone, so I call her over. I feel safe, despite the situation. 

To be fair, with my little family, I always feel safe.

()()()()()()()()()()()()()

Fifteen hours later, we get upstairs. The living room window is blown out. Glass scatters the floor, and Sebastian takes me onto his hip for that reason. His hold is the tightest it's been in a long time. The only time I can remember it like this is that fateful day in April when the courts tore us apart. He's overprotective, but I'm glad he is. It's reassuring. I love him.

"You should get some rest," He says, kissing my temple. "It's been a long ass day." 

"Is it safe?"

"That's why the police took us of lockdown," Stephanie says. "Yes, it is completely safe. We would never put you in danger." I nod, shutting my eyes against Sebastian. 

"I love you two..."

"I love you, Lottie,"

"I love you, too, baby."

***A/N: HOLY FUCKING BALLS WE ARE NINETY ONE READS AWAY FROM 5K THANK YOU SO MUCH***